Don't have an account? Create one!

On-line relationships

AuthorMessage
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
March 28th, 2007 at 11:15pm
Asha Molly:

The thing is though, how can you be certain a person is who they say they are?
That's what all of this comes down to.
An online relationship is basically like being in love with a computer.

In all honesty, I just don't see the point in it.

Where you meet someone isn't as important as the other aspects of a relationship.
You can be certain by trust, making sure their story never changes, talking to them on the phone, having other people support their story, etc.

I met a person online who lied to me.
Then I met my fiance.

You have to be smart. The first time I wasn't.
QuietTragedy
Killjoy
QuietTragedy
March 30th, 2007 at 07:12am
I was in an online relationship for just over a year. We broke up about a month ago mutally as she was having problems and her friends were kind of pressuring her. She was the love of my life and still is. When we were together we talked at least once a week on the phone and would text and IM everyday and saw each other on webcam. And, we still do now. Nothings changed...well, one thing has, but thats not important. We are best friends and are really considering this as a sort of break until we're able to move to be with each other.

Also now, I've been introduced to a girl online by a friend. She actually lives very near me. And who knows what will happen with that....

So really, I believe online relationships *can* work but admit they arent for everybody.
xemo_gurlx
Joining The Black Parade
xemo_gurlx
March 30th, 2007 at 01:28pm
really bad idea i think- unless ya know who ur talkin to then i guess its ok Smile
x__SaltyEyes
Jazz Hands
x__SaltyEyes
March 31st, 2007 at 12:11am
online relationships can be good to an extent. friendships=good. more than that=retarded and bad. i have a friend who lives in michigan. i live in south carolina. i met him on a random internet site. we are good friends. neither of us would ever consider going out or meeting in real life.we are both 14. we have a lot of common interests. we are good company to eachother over the internet. we might be good company to each other in real life. but we will most likely never know. its juss something you have to sacrifice. that chance of knowing whether you could actually make it together outside of the web. my friends and parents all know about him. they warn me about online predators and im like w'e. but the truth is, they are all right. ppl are stupid and do go on and meet ppl who will rape or kill them. i will never meet this guy because of that. and the distance is too far. lol. but yeh, what im trying to say, is not all internet relationships are bad; but you have to be careful.
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
March 31st, 2007 at 11:08am
I guess there's good and bad in everything. People break up online, so as off line, but maybe its the effort to really know the person you are communicating to. Anything seems fine as long as you're not hurting anyone.
schmetallica.
Shotgun Sinner
schmetallica.
March 31st, 2007 at 04:04pm
asha; young modern.:

The thing is though, how can you be certain a person is who they say they are?
That's what all of this comes down to.
An online relationship is basically like being in love with a computer.

In all honesty, I just don't see the point in it.

Exactly what I was trying to say earlier.
Snape-a-doodle.
Salute You in Your Grave
Snape-a-doodle.
March 31st, 2007 at 06:54pm
Online reletionships sound like a good idea at the the time but they can turn out horrific I ended up going out with a 18 year old who said he was 13...i trusted him so i belived him, i found out the truth when I saw his display picture and he clearly wasnt 13 so i demanded the truth....Ive never had an online reletionship since...
billy99
Motor Baby
billy99
March 31st, 2007 at 11:49pm
Well you should've been more careful in the first place. And not all online relationships turn out bad.
My Famous Genocide
Killjoy
My Famous Genocide
April 1st, 2007 at 09:18am
I don't think it can work.
I would more call it a friendship.
I don't think you can love anyone you haven't seen in real life.
It's everything that counts and not the communication
MadHatterMCR
Bleeding on the Floor
MadHatterMCR
April 1st, 2007 at 11:19pm
I believe that online relationships are for geeks and pedophiles. Of course for some people they work out, but I've had friends turn up dead or abused because of some freak they met online.

Online dating = BAD.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
April 3rd, 2007 at 04:34pm
I, personally, couldn't have an online relationship. I love being with my boyfriend at the moment and I love all the hugs, kisses, holding hands etc. that I wouldn't be able to do if I only knew him over the net.

However, that's my view. I know, they do work out fine in some cases and, if you feel as though you trust that person, go for it! Only the people involved know how they feel to make up their own mind about it.

Random question/statement but I'm really happy for you 'Druscilla; in cali'. You seem very in love with your fiance from what you've said and I wish you both the best of luck/happiness. When's the big day?
Hell Yeah Georgie
Really Not Okay
Hell Yeah Georgie
April 4th, 2007 at 03:50pm
I don't see anything wrong with online relationships. But I think there needs to be a clear diferentiation made here. There's talking to people online who you know, and then there's meeting and talking to people online. They are two completely different things.

For example last year I met someone while I was in holiday. We don't live that far away from each other, but its far enough that we don't see each other often. We had an online relationship. I knew who he was, he knew who I was. We occasionally met up and often talked on the phone. No problem. Something like that I think is fine.

The thing that is debabtable is dating websites and things. I mean, I think they're fine, but I think they need to be strictly monitered and there needs to be an age limitation at work on dating sites. I don't think that 13 year olds should be allowed on sites like that. I don't think that 15 year olds should be. Because there is too much inappropriate behaviour.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
April 6th, 2007 at 01:41pm
My Famous Genocide:
I don't think it can work.
I would more call it a friendship.
I don't think you can love anyone you haven't seen in real life.
It's everything that counts and not the communication

Yes.
I proposed to my friend.
I wasn't in love with her when I told her.
I'm a vile and disgusting liar.
Everything counts and communication is more important than sucking face.
You've clearly never been in an online relationship.
Erego, you're talking about things you don't know anything about.
Erego, I won't take you seriously and disolve my engagement because you say it won't work.
Pft.
your_pretty_face
Jazz Hands
your_pretty_face
April 6th, 2007 at 01:47pm
Just so you all know...
Dru's always right.
So there's REALLY no point in arguing with her.

But so it's not spam...

I'm in an internet relationship.
It can work.
If you're not stupid, you have a much smaller chance of getting raped.
Leonardo DiCaprio
Crash Queen
Leonardo DiCaprio
April 6th, 2007 at 01:49pm
Online ralationships are great until a certain extent.
I`ve become friends with a lot of people via the internet and me and one of
my internet friends exchanged numbers and adresses and we call each other
and write BUT online relationships, as in dating are a no-no.
If you`ve never met the person face-to-face or talked to them over the phone
then you shouldn`t do that. I think it`s dangerous and quite stupid. The "tall, blonde
and sixteen year old guy" could actually be a 45 year old man waiting for prey.
But if you have an online relationship and is going to meet that person, never go alone.
ghost man on third.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
ghost man on third.
April 6th, 2007 at 02:35pm
I don't think.. It's normal.. Like.. What would you do? Intahweb seckz?
Eh. Whatever floats your boat.
Fabulous Killjoy
April 6th, 2007 at 10:32pm
i think they're pointless, basically.
Disillusioned.
Fabulous Killjoy
Disillusioned.
April 7th, 2007 at 11:23am
People are sometimes different in real life than online, like this guy I know. He's in my science class at school, and we talk a lot ot MSN, but in real life he just blanks me.
So yeah, online relationships aren't a good thing.
your_pretty_face
Jazz Hands
your_pretty_face
April 8th, 2007 at 10:35pm
fuckthemango:
I don't think.. It's normal.. Like.. What would you do? Intahweb seckz?
Eh. Whatever floats your boat.

Relationships aren't all about sex.

little lady from.:
i think they're pointless, basically.

They're just as pointy as normal relationships.
Two people caring about each other.
The fact that they're far away from each other isn't their fault.
It just means they have to work harder to stay in touch.
cinderella.
Really Not Okay
cinderella.
April 9th, 2007 at 02:04am
Through the internet ive made friends all around the world. and its safe to say YES they are friends.

it can work, if both are committed and willing to try.

i have an online girlfriend, and shes 16000 klms away! im in australia and shes in california. its hard not being able to physically be with her, but emotionally things are GREAT!

i think they can work.