Don't have an account? Create one!

Labels

AuthorMessage
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 19th, 2008 at 12:51am
Okay, sorry about that then.

I think that stereotypes are quite a normal part of human behaviour. In high school it seems to be intensified, but stereotyping never actually stops. It's just something everyone has to come to terms with.
ciara.
Crash Queen
ciara.
April 19th, 2008 at 04:00am
for me... some labels are there to make you feel like you belong to a group
some are there to differentiate you from the others
some are there to show or tell a bit of your personality

but these labels become wrong and inappropriate whenever they're used to create huge gaps between different kinds of people, whenever a label creates a certain permanent judgement to someone, whenever it creates a standard of how to rank a group of people... like the mentality of other people (for example, "if you're a rocker then you're cool, if you're emo then you suck" )
and, sadly, as we all know... that is what's happening right now
mychemicalromance932
Killjoy
mychemicalromance932
April 19th, 2008 at 09:44am
Who cares most of the time the people who lable you dont really think what they say its justa stupid joke and if they are serious you cant change their mind but who cares
Jet-Star
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Jet-Star
April 19th, 2008 at 12:18pm
mychemicalromance932:
Who cares most of the time the people who lable you dont really think what they say its justa stupid joke and if they are serious you cant change their mind but who cares
i agree but the people that give u a label seriously do that not just for themselves but to make others look down upon you. Labels that friends give eachother are different because both people know its a joke unless someone else hears it, thinks its serious and then has other people call you that.
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
April 19th, 2008 at 12:48pm
labels are retarded and offensive, sorry to say. in my english honor's class there is this kid who's a jock -- when i first started with him i was like "wtf is this kid doing in here?" turns out he is really fucking smart, KNOWS what he's talking about, and READS. not to mention really, really nice too and is willing to do work in class.

that's why labels really fucking suck. you're you, no one should need a label to identify themselves.
mollz
Salute You in Your Grave
mollz
April 20th, 2008 at 02:36am
Sprinkles:

I think that stereotypes are quite a normal part of human behaviour. In high school it seems to be intensified, but stereotyping never actually stops. It's just something everyone has to come to terms with.
Exactly.
People need to get over them and realize that they'll only affect you if you let them.
Marilyn Monroe
Awake and Unafraid
Marilyn Monroe
April 20th, 2008 at 03:16am
Yeah that is true... although it is hard for them not to affect you when they are pounded into you every day
Sarahbree
Killjoy
Sarahbree
April 29th, 2008 at 01:27am
yeah can you guys help me i have to write a documentary on this topic and i've been labeled and it does hurt some people all my life people have told me don't take it to heart!! but i can't help it so what im i ment to do!? it gets in my head then i kind of forget and then the next day it happens again!! some people just don't realise and if its never happened to you your lucky
we are broken.
Salute You in Your Grave
we are broken.
April 29th, 2008 at 08:56pm
im still in elementry school and people all the time stereotype me as "emo" at first it bothered me but now ive gotten used to it and its just like whatever you know? just because i might ware a little more of one color then them, it doesnt mean they have to judge me all the time. it doesnt really hurt me or anything its just annoying.
we are broken.
Salute You in Your Grave
we are broken.
April 29th, 2008 at 08:57pm
sorry. i posted twice.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
April 29th, 2008 at 09:38pm
Haha, I can't tell you how much I love being "Unclassifiable" in school. Heres the basic rundown:
First day of high school I wore hand made, paint-splatterd shorts and a silk-screed shirt that just said "Why?"
I've taken eight art classes in three years
I get good grades
I'm in theatre
I actually read books
I love Hendrix, Cream, the Beatles and anything Blues
I have my own zoo at my house, no joke
I have yet to smoke or drink
I hang with just about every social circle over the course of the day.
Just recently kids found out I went and saw MCR
So yeah, most anyone can say is that I love art and animals and that I really don't care what anyone thinks of me Very Happy. I'm right where I want to be. ~ Rex
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
April 30th, 2008 at 03:27am

I think theres too much hype or talk about it. i mean to be honest alot of people out there do like the labels they like to thikn that the label gives them an identity. i mean if you look on ino theres a whole bunch of people with "emo" on their screen name. its just this thing where alot of people are like erghh im not emo. but really alot of people love the labeling

i mean like alot of people are like "im gonna be who i want to be" but really just go out and try to embody what the stereotype is that theyre trying to fit, i mean its a choice thing.

then you get alot of people who are down with the idea that being abused cos you fit a subculture stereotype is just as bad as being abused because your a different race but this might come off as harsh but there is no way that being called an emo is anywhere as bad as being called a "chinky eyed gook" as ive been called once.

in the end thee really is no such theing as "being yourself" cos the way i look at it theres a whole generation of people who seek to be individuals but really just embody a stereotype which is completely redundant. like i go to a show and everyone i see weaars the same thing like its a uniform. i think its because people arnt really fighting the stereotypes and being different and finding some sort of indivualism but choose to dress black and wear eyeliner and so on and so forth.

i know im gonna get a heap of flak for saying this but this is what i think about labels. we label ourselves without knowing it and lash out when someone points it out.

xxjaimiexx
Killjoy
xxjaimiexx
April 30th, 2008 at 11:56am
i absolutly hate labeling.
it makes you feel different and sometime horrible about who you really are.
i know in my school labeling is common everyday talk, whether it is about what kind of clothes he or she wears or how much money they spend on a pair of jeans. i know for a fact though that the real "popular" people in our school favor this because they all sit on one side of the cafiteria. then its up to the outcasts to fill in the other side. ont the popular side we have our jocks our preps... you know. and then on our side we have ounks emos posers skaters you know outcasts. i hate it and i think that labeling is just like racism i dont like you because you different then me..... and i dont like you becasue you are a different color than me.... thats what i get from labeling.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
April 30th, 2008 at 04:13pm
Migatron:
i mean like alot of people are like "im gonna be who i want to be" but really just go out and try to embody what the stereotype is that theyre trying to fit, i mean its a choice thing.

Thats exactly what I think of when I hear "Emo." Gerard is totally right, its just a pile of shit, it means nothing. I know a bunch of classifiably emo kids, some are my friends, but all won't say they're emo. Its like they agree that emo exists and that its a stereotype but can't see its where they fit in. To me emo is someone trying desperately to be an individual but doesn't know how so they turn to a broad school yard classification and come up with there own personal name for it...."(Lowers tight pants) Dude I'm not emo, (Swooshes bangs from face) I'm just not part of regular society"
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 1st, 2008 at 01:52am
i think Gerard would be the last person to comment on the current emo subculture.
like emo used to be something different. but like to be honest i kinda do see gerard as one of the catalyst for the growing trend.

like its a bit redundant for him to say that cos he had a massive part in all this.
MCRmy_nightmare
Killjoy
MCRmy_nightmare
May 1st, 2008 at 12:00pm
emo actually evolved from punk. it was a seperate branch, and had a few things in common with punk. but it went it's own seperate ways, and it's turned into what it is today. It was WAY different then from what it was a while back. now they started all this music. I absolutely hate labels. it's just another way for people to bully one another. I have no problems with "emos". there's nothing wrong with them. but for people who think that all they do is cut there wrists they are VERY wrong. cutting yourself or harming yourself in any way is a disorder, not a fucking fashion statement. (please remember that's I'm not trying to offend anybody in any way, and if I am, I'm sorry. please tell me if I'm doing so).
anywho, yeah, that's about it
Halos_and_Hatred
Killjoy
Halos_and_Hatred
May 1st, 2008 at 12:30pm
Honestly, I have a problem with labels because of the way they develope. labels may start as a joke or game, but mine ended up causing me family problems. my dad always labeled me queer because im bi, which caused him and my mom to fight. =(
It's all on how the label is used.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 1st, 2008 at 02:08pm
MCRmy_nightmare:
emo actually evolved from punk. it was a seperate branch, and had a few things in common with punk. but it went it's own seperate ways, and it's turned into what it is today. It was WAY different then from what it was a while back. now they started all this music. I absolutely hate labels. it's just another way for people to bully one another. I have no problems with "emos". there's nothing wrong with them. but for people who think that all they do is cut there wrists they are VERY wrong. cutting yourself or harming yourself in any way is a disorder, not a fucking fashion statement. (please remember that's I'm not trying to offend anybody in any way, and if I am, I'm sorry. please tell me if I'm doing so).
anywho, yeah, that's about it

im quiet aware of the history of emo. but im making a devision between the musical movement of the early nineties with the common stereotype used now. theres a massive difference. infact the common idea of emo is actually nothing like the original idea.

but what gerard was on about was the whole emo trend not the post punk movement.

vampire kitteh :3
Thinking Happy Thoughts
vampire kitteh :3
May 1st, 2008 at 04:58pm
labeling iz really annoying. thats wut i hve 2 say about it. ppl judge u on how u dress, how u look and wut u listen 2. i wear heavy eyeliner and black... "CUZ UR EMO" my friendz say. "wuts ur fav color?" they ask. "black." i say. "cuz ur so GOTH" they say. im having fun... "u cant be emo, emos NEVER hve fun. ur a prep" im like wtf?! i h8 labelz and steriotyping. but evn i do it... wut? i cant help it. sum of my friendz will stick up 4 me... "r u still friendz w/ that EMO grl?" "shes not emo stop labeling her!" yea... sum of my friendz r cool like that. Smile
FallingForward
Killjoy
FallingForward
May 1st, 2008 at 05:28pm
labelling is just pathetic. No one wants to be able to only hang out with one kind of person because your "emo" or a "chav" its just stupid.