Don't have an account? Create one!

Labels

AuthorMessage
MCRmy_nightmare
Killjoy
MCRmy_nightmare
May 1st, 2008 at 06:35pm
FallingForward:
labelling is just pathetic. No one wants to be able to only hang out with one kind of person because your "emo" or a "chav" its just stupid.
exactly! why can't people be able to hang out with other without being labeled? "oh, your punk/goth, why are you even talking to us?" seriously, that's how it is in my school. there are some real assholes out there.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
May 1st, 2008 at 08:00pm
I'm all for the destruction of labels. I'm quite proud knowing that I'm pretty much unclasifiable in school. I've found that most kids are quite excepting but few really understand what it means to be an individual... and some get upset (afriad) when this happens. ~ Rex
skyline.
Jazz Hands
skyline.
May 1st, 2008 at 10:50pm
I don't see why we need to be categorized. We're all individuals, and we don't fit under only one "category". Just because a few people may look alike or act alike, it doesn't mean that we should stereotype anyone that looks the same and classify them all as one type of people.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 2nd, 2008 at 05:40am
skyline.:
I don't see why we need to be categorized. We're all individuals, and we don't fit under only one "category". Just because a few people may look alike or act alike, it doesn't mean that we should stereotype anyone that looks the same and classify them all as one type of people.

^That's illogical from a psychological point of view.
It is human nature to fit people into categories - I can assure you that our mind does it automatically.

There is nothing wrong with categorizing people.

The only reason why some people view labeling and categorization in a negative way is because it can sometimes be used as a tool to harass people. But it's important to understand that humans categorize naturally, and it's not a bad thing.
Worlds Away
Jazz Hands
Worlds Away
May 4th, 2008 at 07:59am
techno cocaine.:
skyline.:

^That's illogical from a psychological point of view.
It is human nature to fit people into categories - I can assure you that our mind does it automatically.

There is nothing wrong with categorizing people.

The only reason why some people view labeling and categorization in a negative way is because it can sometimes be used as a tool to harass people. But it's important to understand that humans categorize naturally, and it's not a bad thing.

I second that.
Jenny.
Jenny.
May 4th, 2008 at 12:21pm
I believe that a person only has the right to label themselves, not others.
Labelling can become very hypocritical, too. People often forget that labels include 'Jock' 'Chav' and 'Prep', not just 'Emo' 'Grunger' and 'Goth', which is stupid.
Although, I have to admit that not all labels are bad. It's only when people become offended by them that they're bad, really. If that makes sense.
JessD
Killjoy
JessD
May 4th, 2008 at 11:47pm
Frankiestein.:
I believe that a person only has the right to label themselves, not others.

Exactly my thoughts.
I think everyone of us fits into a category or label but no one else but ourselves should decide which one that is. It has happened to me that someone says: "You look like your this kind of person" and I'm like: "You are so wrong".

I think it's not right to label someone because of what you see or what you think you see if you don't know how the person really is.
sweet dreams.
Salute You in Your Grave
sweet dreams.
May 4th, 2008 at 11:55pm
In my opinion, some labelling is necessary or tolerable. We label products in stores and things like that, which is a good thing. But when it comes to labelling people, it's a different story.

Some labels are facts, like so-and-so is a poet, or so-and-so is a skater. Those labels don't define who a person actually is, just something they do. And it's not really questionable. If you say "Are you a poet?" or "Are you a skater?" to someone, you're pretty much going to get a yes or no answer. Skater is actually a little shaky because some people think skater is more of a style. I think of it as someone who skates.

When someone starts using labels like 'emo' or 'goth' or 'punk' or 'gangster,' it becomes pointless. People need to learn to be themselves instead of trying to figure out what group they belong to.
Sarahbree
Killjoy
Sarahbree
May 5th, 2008 at 01:19am
it all depends. . . .
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 5th, 2008 at 01:47am
^Depends on what...? Please explain yourself on a discussion board...
Pansy Wolf
Fabulous Killjoy
Pansy Wolf
May 5th, 2008 at 01:22pm
Labels, well i've been called everyname in teh book:
Emo, indie, goth? Seriously they are just dumb words, here's what i said on
another forum about the 'emo label'

everybodys emo as it means emotional
everybodys indie as it means independant
everybody is scene because they hang about in a scene

they are all just pointless words which people use as a form of elitism.
or to describe the way someone looks.

if someone saysyour emo.
don't take it as a critisism or a compliment or a form of abuse
because it is a three letter word which means absolutely nothing.

and if it does mean emotional.
then yes MCR are an emotional band.
but they write about stuff with depth.
rather than bullshit.

so so be it.
vampire_girl 921
Killjoy
vampire_girl 921
May 5th, 2008 at 07:01pm
well... people call me emo and I HATE it but if I freake out about it and say"I'm not emo!" it just gets worse. most people have stoped but some people have not. you just gota think that you have friends, who cares what they say! Mr. Green
vampire_girl 921
Killjoy
vampire_girl 921
May 5th, 2008 at 07:07pm
your tottaly right pansy_wolf, why does it matter?
Pansy Wolf
Fabulous Killjoy
Pansy Wolf
May 6th, 2008 at 04:40pm
Very Happy
In the end, i have a million opinions on other people.
And getting upset about people calling me emo, is just pointless really
Yeh people are idiots for saying it but still.
Emo is simply a term made up by a bunch of people with nothgin else better to do.
It's not a bad or good thing.
And anyways MCR say emo is bullshit.
i don't see why someone should be called emo just coz they have black hair a fringe and wear skinny jeans
Seriously, who doesn't wear skinny jeans.
Kate moss wears them, but she isn't emo.
The term is used loosely and wrongly. Its a pile of rubbish,
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 7th, 2008 at 04:21am
pansy_wolf:
Very Happy

i don't see why someone should be called emo just coz they have black hair a fringe and wear skinny jeans
Seriously, who doesn't wear skinny jeans.
Kate moss wears them, but she isn't emo.
The term is used loosely and wrongly. Its a pile of rubbish,

First of all, I would just like to say that I personally have never worn a pair of skinny jeans in my life, so no, not everyone wears them.

Now, onto something less spammy -

The reason why people are called emo if they wear skinny jeans have a black fringe etc. is because they look like the emo stereotype. Society has deemed that if you wear skinny jeans, have an angular hair cut, have a few facial piercings, wear black converse sneakers, wear excessive amounts of eyeliner etc. etc. then you are emo. That is the way people have deemed "emos" to look, so obviously if you dress like that, then you'll be called an emo.

In short; if you dress like the stereotype or label, then you will be called it. Simple as that.
Pansy Wolf
Fabulous Killjoy
Pansy Wolf
May 7th, 2008 at 05:23am
true but still.
labels arefor soup cans.

Very Happy

haha at how many people say that on theblackparade.net
lulz,
i don'treally care.
i guess i use labels all the time.
Sad
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
May 7th, 2008 at 06:37am

As techno cocaine. said that labelling is human nature.

You can't say that its bad and that no its not good and all that jazz.
Labelling isn't just the normal 'jocks' and 'emos' and 'preps'
Labelling something that describes and categorizes someone.

A normal label your brain automatically does is 'Dangerous' or 'Safe'
So whether you trust that person or not.
Your brain takes a moment to make a snap decision and automatically
files the person under one of these two categories. Sure, you may be wrong
but its instinct to find out if you can trust the person or not judging on looks.

So you cannot say that you don't label, because as hard as you try not to

It is human instinct to 'label'.
mcrluvsme
Killjoy
mcrluvsme
May 7th, 2008 at 10:37am
i am always label to manly emo fro the things i wear goth for the music listen to i think labels are stupid every one should be themselves noone should be label i think its stupid
Pansy Wolf
Fabulous Killjoy
Pansy Wolf
May 7th, 2008 at 02:00pm
either way im not too bothered, when it comes to me if somebody thnks i dress funny and listen to 'emo' music then whatever. That is their opinion and all i care about is whether i like the way i am.
And quite frankly, i wouldn't change the way i dress and what i listen to for the world.

Som epeople however take it seriously, and it isn't there fault.
They shouldn't be called something in the first place.
But it happens, and no-one will ever chage that.
its somethign we have to live with
Demolition Lover 85
Killjoy
Demolition Lover 85
May 8th, 2008 at 11:58am
I hate when people label everything! Like I'm asked if I'm emo or punk, I'm like I'm just me. Like when I wear black I'm asked if I'm trying to be gothic. No, I like the color, and I love pink and I'm being preppy. Man, it's pisses me off. I don't understand why we need labels.