Don't have an account? Create one!

Labels

AuthorMessage
Cover Me In Gasoline
Really Not Okay
Cover Me In Gasoline
February 26th, 2008 at 11:11am
Do we even need labels?
No, all they are doing is pushing people into stupid sterotypes and bulling them just because they look different to someone else or listen to different music to others. The majority of people pushed into groups like emo do like other music. Some people are just small minded and can't go past the one band they like.

What do you think the point of labelling is?
There is none.

Is labelling a good or bad thing?
Bad.

Is labelling a type of bullying?
Yes. I am oviouily a fan of MCR and because I am I get bullied and get deaththreats and is told to go slit my wrist. This is wrong. I consider it bullying. I wear black clothes and I listen to more bands than just MCR. I don't just listen to 'emo'. Labelling is a type of bulling and people should get over it.
JadeTiger712
Motor Baby
JadeTiger712
February 26th, 2008 at 12:39pm
I am labelled as emo by some people which is annoying, but my friend called me "Metal/Hardcore" which doesn't bug me that much. I think the only label that I gladly claim is Christian and maybe Edge
Patrick Martin Stump
Motor Baby
Patrick Martin Stump
March 1st, 2008 at 06:26pm
the hidden.:
Surely labelling can be a good thing?
Like, if you hang out with a labelled crowd, surely sometimes it can make people like they fit in, and that they belong somewhere?

I'm not saying that its always the case, but it could happen..Right?

xo

Yep. Smile

I agree with you totally. I fit in with a group of 'emo' and 'mosher' kids and they really are the best friends I have. We can relate to almost anything and we always have each others backs when people yell insults at us.

To be perfectly honest, I don't care when people call me 'emo' because it's true. I love the label [music/fashion] and the people I hang out with. I can deal with haters to an extent, but sometimes it's hard not to bite back when they bully me. I mean, according to the group of 'chavettes' in my school, I'm a wrist slitting lesbian. That's when I think labels suck because I can't be comfortable with my dress sense or music without having malicious rumours spread about me.

Labels can be okay. But I don't like the grief and shit that comes with them.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
March 1st, 2008 at 06:29pm
It's a way to quickly identify things and people.
It's easier to describe someone as 'the chav girl' or 'the gothy girl' ect, then it is to describe a person in order to indentify them.
Sometimes, labels are used with malice, but, I think everyone has at least at some point in their life used a label with malice. I bet not many people are well meaning when they call someone a prep ect.
Bride of Lestat
Jazz Hands
Bride of Lestat
March 2nd, 2008 at 08:31am
I don't think we need labels because it forces people to be someone else they're not. It's not bad or a new form of bullying though, but it's absolutely unnecessary. It only makes a person somebody else and not himself/herself. It's like s/he doesn't know him/herself anymore.
DeadInTheWater
Fabulous Killjoy
DeadInTheWater
March 2nd, 2008 at 12:46pm
you know what is the stupidest thing about all this?
loads of people on here complain of being called emo and moshers and being told to go slit their wrists are really pretty quixk to label other people,
for exaple;
Raytarded said - i can deal with haters to an extent, but sometimes it's hard not to bite back when they bully me. I mean, according to the group of 'chavettes' in my school, I'm a wrist slitting lesbian,
(sorry for using u as an exaple was just the first post i saw to fit the description.)
people complain that they're being called and labelled and then say it was by "chavs" ect, which is labelling them surely?

sorry if that made no sense
i hope you get the point
Smile
x
DeadInTheWater
Fabulous Killjoy
DeadInTheWater
March 2nd, 2008 at 01:01pm
and tbh ithink labellung can be okay, it helps people to understand themselves and other people sometimes, which has to be good?
its only bad when used in a malicious way or with a label seen as negative
x
hidden black heart
Killjoy
hidden black heart
March 2nd, 2008 at 05:31pm
Labels can be used as general identifiers, but the people that don't plan to abuse them aren't the ones that use them. The people that do use labels, at least in my school, tend to use them because they dislike a group of people and are insulting them. I am not excluded from that.

I agree that some people should just get over it and ignore the label. The labels themselves aren't that big of a deal. Being called an emo, jock, prep, or anything won't kill you. And they sometimes can help you meet people with similar interests and ideas.

That doesn't mean that they are always good things. People that call me emo insinuate that I'm slitting my wrists. And being catigorized based on something that's nothing more than a rumor is painful at times.

But think about it: if they call you that to hurt you, are they really worth your time?
Disenchanted2thecore
Killjoy
Disenchanted2thecore
March 3rd, 2008 at 12:43am
hmmm.... ya i have to say labels anger me a lot... i get called the depressed emo kid by people ive talked to prolly three times in my life at teh most... do they know me know... so how can they just make accusations about me... one guy asked me if my mom was going to take me to therapy... im not crazy or anything.. i just have a lot of stuff to deal with... and just the other day my best friend even said that was getting out of hand with my depression .. i wish that people would try harder to understand .. im comfortable with who i am... im just sad about what is happening in my surroundings.....
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
March 3rd, 2008 at 03:46am
hidden black heart:
Labels can be used as general identifiers, but the people that don't plan to abuse them aren't the ones that use them. The people that do use labels, at least in my school, tend to use them because they dislike a group of people and are insulting them. I am not excluded from that.

I agree that some people should just get over it and ignore the label. The labels themselves aren't that big of a deal. Being called an emo, jock, prep, or anything won't kill you. And they sometimes can help you meet people with similar interests and ideas.

That doesn't mean that they are always good things. People that call me emo insinuate that I'm slitting my wrists. And being catigorized based on something that's nothing more than a rumor is painful at times.

But think about it: if they call you that to hurt you, are they really worth your time?

i agree with a lot of what u said. Labels are OK until they cross the line from being an extension or part of ur character (which is fine) to a word that defines ur entire being (which can be unhealthy -- depending on the label). And definitely they shd never be used to hurt.

Altho i have to add that -- where i come from at least -- 'emo' is not an out-and-out negative thing. We often jokingly call ppl emo when they lean toward an angsty persona & wear lots of black & listen to certain kinds of music. Emo kids are more liked than shunned here. in fact they're thought of as 'cool' especially since they own most of the punk scene. (punk fashion over here has a lot of 'emo' crossovers such as eyeliner, metal-&-leather jewelry, & nonconformist sentiments).
MyChemicalBlack
Salute You in Your Grave
MyChemicalBlack
March 3rd, 2008 at 11:15pm
Labels are pointless.
Once upon a time they didn't mean as much, but now a person can't embody their style without being "labeled".
That probably makes no sense, but seriously, to pick a label and mercilessly taunt another individual is wrong.
LostMyFear_ofFalling
Joining The Black Parade
LostMyFear_ofFalling
March 4th, 2008 at 06:15pm
Labels are useless. It's a way for people that are obviously too insecure to accept who they are and feel that they have to bash other people's lifestyles to build themselves up.
Everyone is different. Discussion closed.
In our generation, everything is suddenly defined by labels. The people you are "allowed" to hang out wiht, the places you go, the things you do, and the way you dress.
I experience labeling in my school all the time. I honestly have never tied myself down to looking or acting like a certain stereotype. I go to catholic prep school where pretty much everyone is the same. They're all bleach blond and listen to the same music, go to the same places on the weekends, and say the same things. I constantly get targeted for being different from the norm at my school, and my friends and I are always labeled as "music geeks" and "freaks".
I just don't understand why the fact that I'm into music and art should define the type of person I am and allow people to judge me without getting to know me first.
That entire idea that it's ok to do that is just completely screwed up.
Colorado Sunrise.
Salute You in Your Grave
Colorado Sunrise.
March 7th, 2008 at 10:59pm
Labels can be positive or negative. And these days, negative labels are the 'it' thing. You wear a black tee and eyeliner, EMO. You have a metal-rock playlist on your iPod, GREBO. It's just, they get out of hand and these days, they've just gotten things to get worse and violent.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
March 8th, 2008 at 12:11am
LostMyFear_ofFalling:

In our generation, everything is suddenly defined by labels. The people you are "allowed" to hang out wiht, the places you go, the things you do, and the way you dress.

Labeling is not new.
The concept of labeling in itself has been around for time immemorial - it's the labels that change.
My Chemical Living.
Motor Baby
My Chemical Living.
March 8th, 2008 at 07:54am
Labeling isnt something that just come out. It has been around for a while. You might now just start to notice is. With the society that we are in today it is like people need a reason to put a name on something. With media it is as though no one can be different or who they want to be. SO when someone comes along who is, they get a label and it is bullshit!
desert skies.
Shotgun Sinner
desert skies.
March 8th, 2008 at 11:27am
Sadly labels have become a big part in life these days. It's seems everyone must be put into a group. They tell you who you what music you like, what interests you have and who you hang out with in one little word. And I find that really sad. You can't tell what a person is like just by the way they act or dress. That would be, as the saying goes, "Judging a book by it's cover."
They've been around for a long time, so I doubt they are just going to suddenly disappear. So we just have to live with them. My best advice is to not stoop so low as to us them and ignore anyone who labels you.
goodbye blue sky
Always Born a Crime
goodbye blue sky
March 9th, 2008 at 06:29am
there was this girl in our school, who came to talk to me and my friends once. She asked were we goths or something, and why we wear black and such odd "style". I hate those kinds of persons, I really do. I´ve heard that my friend´s have been called as emos and goths. Those people just have to put us in cramped boxes, they have to call us with everything else but our names.
One friend of mine is really bullied just because she makes up quite hard, and dresses the way she feels comfortable. She cuts her wrists and legs because those girls won´t let her be herself.
Labeling sucks, and so does those girls. Next time she or they come to tell us that we are emos, we just laugh. I really wait for that, laughing is fun.
pushups in drag.
Killjoy
pushups in drag.
March 20th, 2008 at 08:54am
hm.. i do think that this can actually be classed as bullying to some point. fine, i understand some people WANT to be known as 'emo' or are proud to be 'chavs'. but it can get out of hand. i get called emo, and a rumour spread around that i cut. i was quite low at the time, and this made me feel SO much worse. what actually made it horrible for me is that people and my friends beleived it! i took time off school, pretending to be ill, cos i couldnt face the dirty looks, and this made people all the more suspicious. im so glad its behind me now, tbh. i felt like crap. but even worse things happen to people. over here i read about some girl that got attacked and killed for being a 'goth'.
it's really despicable.
Spirited Away
Joining The Black Parade
Spirited Away
March 20th, 2008 at 05:15pm
I dont think people should label. It could be kind of bullying. Why cant we all be people? No one is more or less than a person. Just because you like a certain type of music doesnt mean that you should be ignored and labled an emo or outcast or something. Just because you wear nice clothes doesnt mean that you have power over anyone who is not just like you. There should be an end to labeling.
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
March 21st, 2008 at 10:23am
Nowadays, the world is quite stereotypical. Sometimes even subconsciously, we single out people and mark them as a group, and we should either respect or abuse them, according to their rank in our heads.

Labeling should be put to an end. We cannot keep treating people the way we THINK they should be treated. We should treat them the way they SHOULD be treated - as people, as equals, as one of us.