Don't have an account? Create one!

Labels

AuthorMessage
TaraIsBack!
Bleeding on the Floor
TaraIsBack!
September 24th, 2007 at 07:38pm
Well, sometimes it helps and sometimes it hurts.
Labels like:
Classic Rock
Rap
Country
Pop
are ok, but I think that anything more than that gets really confusing. Kind of like the old joke about "Who's on First"
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
September 25th, 2007 at 12:25am
Do we even need labels?
Well... it can be useful when it comes to music, films or describing how you dress. But mostly it's just a stereotypical idea of something, so it's not as if it's a "bad" thing nessecarily.
What do you think the point of labelling is?
So that people can find other people who are like them to hang out with, so that you can break down the stereotypical ideas (hopefully) and so that people can see other lifestyles and what they're like.
Is labelling a good or bad thing?
Good because it helps you to find like-minded people and gives you a sort of "place" in school societies etc.
Bad because people expect you to live up to the stereotype or the assume that they know how you act.

Is labelling a type of bullying?
No, not unless someone is actually being bullied for what they believe, wear or listen to.
Usually it's just a bit of harmless fun. Like a way to try and describe the different groups and cliques in society.
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
September 25th, 2007 at 12:41am
Borrowed Dream:
Do we even need labels?
Well... it can be useful when it comes to music, films or describing how you dress. But mostly it's just a stereotypical idea of something, so it's not as if it's a "bad" thing nessecarily.
So that people can find other people who are like them to hang out with, so that you can break down the stereotypical ideas (hopefully) and so that people can see other lifestyles and what they're like.
Good because it helps you to find like-minded people and gives you a sort of "place" in school societies etc.
Bad because people expect you to live up to the stereotype or the assume that they know how you act.

No, not unless someone is actually being bullied for what they believe, wear or listen to.
Usually it's just a bit of harmless fun. Like a way to try and describe the different groups and cliques in society.

agree 100%
mercy in the sky.
Shotgun Sinner
mercy in the sky.
September 25th, 2007 at 07:19am
I don't think labeling somebody is a form of bullying at all.
I can understand why people don't want to be in groups, and only want to be known
for being them. What I don't understand is why people overreact when they are
called a harmless label like "jock" or "sci-fi geek" or something like that. Big deal.
I think some people take it the wrong way and just need to chill.
Casimir Pulaski Day
Shotgun Sinner
Casimir Pulaski Day
September 25th, 2007 at 07:27am
People subconsciously label other people all the time. They are all boxes, and I don't think people want to be "boxed." It's like calling all "emo" people the same, if you see my point. Like, if I listen to Jimmy Eat World, that must make me emo, and I must cut myself. That's probably why people don't like labels. Or "jocks" are stupid, ect...
weakerthan
Fabulous Killjoy
weakerthan
September 25th, 2007 at 08:07pm
NotOkay22:
Borrowed Dream:
Do we even need labels?

agree 100%

*Nods*
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
September 25th, 2007 at 08:40pm
Labels, like someone said above, are good for music, dress style ect.
But the thing that is wrong with labels on people, while they will always be around, is the negative meaning behind each one.
I mean, I can't actually think of many labels at all where people call others the label and arn't being snide.

It's like, there's nothing wrong with being a jock, or a goth ect, but it's the negative meaning assioated with it that makes them hurt for some people.
xklox
Killjoy
xklox
September 27th, 2007 at 03:27am
Do we even need labels?
I don’t know if labels are necessary, but I can tell you one thing, a lot of the populous of high school revolves around them. Or rather, Hollywood has created an image of what cliques and labels are supposed to be. Example; Mean Girls. YES THE MOVIE! =] When the girl had a seating chart made up for each clique. I think that each clique has their own label. Example ‘Preps’ ‘Emo’s’ ‘Goths’ ‘Stoners’ ‘Christians’ ‘sluts’ and on the list goes.
What do you think the point of labeling is?
Hmf. I dunno. Maybe I’ll just write what I think, not what I think and have mapped out for you all to under stand, so the following could be a big brain scramble, I dunno if you’ll understand it or not. Some people are dependant upon it. The example that comes to my mind is at an office. There’s the ‘bald guy’ ‘ the easy woman’ ‘the lesbian’ and yet again my list continues to surge forwards. Most of the people who don’t give a fuck are the ones who are open to hang out with just about anyone. I don’t know. That’s what I thought of when I read the question.
Is labeling a good or bad thing?
Depends. Bad if it’s labeled like ‘the fat kids’ that hurts feelings.
I know that most Preps like being called preps inwardly, but denounce it when the title is so epically bestowed upon their little tiny heads. I’m not sure.
Is labeling a type of bullying?
Like I said above. To some it is, to some it’s not.
gemstonefromabove
Killjoy
gemstonefromabove
September 28th, 2007 at 12:17pm
I totally think that theres no need for us all to be categorised.

its not like we're animals, we dont need to be placed in different groups.

everyone is an indivdual, and no one can 100% to a label thats applied to them any way.

people should just be people. with their own style and tastes, that can be a mixture of anything they want and not be categorised.

BE TRUE TO YOURSELF!!! Smile
Susanna
Killjoy
Susanna
September 28th, 2007 at 08:49pm
Every person is so diffferent, that it is unable to label.
Labelling is like one of the ways to show up how stupid you are.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
September 28th, 2007 at 09:12pm
I despise labelling.

It's just used as an excuse to harass people and be rude to them, and there's absolutely no need for it.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
September 28th, 2007 at 09:13pm
JustTara:
Well, sometimes it helps and sometimes it hurts.
Labels like:
Classic Rock
Rap
Country
Pop
are ok, but I think that anything more than that gets really confusing.

Those are music genres, though... not labels.
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
September 29th, 2007 at 01:55am
To me labels are a good and bad thing...hard to explain
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
September 29th, 2007 at 02:38am
Diana_a7x:

Perhaps you should try, because I fail to see how labelling a human being is positive?
The Joker
Salute You in Your Grave
The Joker
September 30th, 2007 at 09:34pm
I also think if being called an emo wasn't related to people cutting themselves then i don't think people would have as much as a problem with it.
I mean loads of people get shouted abuse like "oi you emo do you cry yourself to sleep at night and cut your wrists from left to right!?!"and stuff like that, which can be annoying and upsetting.
three cheers
Killjoy
three cheers
October 1st, 2007 at 11:27pm
Labelling's stupid, we don't need it. It's just another way to judge someone based on their appearance, the best way to deal with it is to just ignore it.
Or alternatively, if they mean it jokingly just laugh along Surprised
xXDrop.The.DaggerXx
Killjoy
xXDrop.The.DaggerXx
October 2nd, 2007 at 12:00am
Labelling pretty much means nothing in my school; I guess in that sense I got lucky.

Yet people within the student body still assign labels to themselves. I avoid labelling myself, though I guess if I had to I would fit under the scene culture umbrella... but I think most people do it just to find people they connect with. Then again, like I said, labelling means nothing at my school. Jocks and goths hang out together with emo's and scene kids...

Labelling only becomes negative when used as an excuse to ridicule or even to simply assume things about a person that may or may not fit exactly into that group. For instance, I know at my friend's school scene kids are targeted, and some cases have landed kids in the hospital. When it goes that far labelling others becomes bad... and to argue someone's earlier point, humans are animals, and are classified as such. Does the term homo sapien mean anything? And if we're not animals, we're either plants or rocks....
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
October 2nd, 2007 at 03:01am
All_You_Need_Is_Love:
Diana_a7x:

Perhaps you should try, because I fail to see how labelling a human being is positive?

People being labeled can help you find other who are like you. Like when I started high school I was right away labeled an "emo". I was told to go hang out with the other "emos" who hung out in the courtyard. So I did. And I made many close friends in the "emo" group that I found that day, and I am still close to a lot of them today, as a freshman in college. Labels aren't always bad.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 2nd, 2007 at 04:22am
NotOkay22:
All_You_Need_Is_Love:
Diana_a7x:

People being labeled can help you find other who are like you. Like when I started high school I was right away labeled an "emo". I was told to go hang out with the other "emos" who hung out in the courtyard. So I did. And I made many close friends in the "emo" group that I found that day, and I am still close to a lot of them today, as a freshman in college. Labels aren't always bad.

That's a good way to live?
Only hanging out with people who other people tell you are your kind?

Labels should not define a person.

Human beings are human beings.
Just because two people like the same style of clothes doesn't mean they're the same kind of people and it doesn't mean they should be defined as a simple music genre.
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
October 2nd, 2007 at 04:33am
All_You_Need_Is_Love:
NotOkay22:
All_You_Need_Is_Love:
Diana_a7x:

That's a good way to live?
Only hanging out with people who other people tell you are your kind?

Labels should not define a person.

Human beings are human beings.
Just because two people like the same style of clothes doesn't mean they're the same kind of people and it doesn't mean they should be defined as a simple music genre.

Well if it works then it sure as hell isnt a bad way to live.