Don't have an account? Create one!

Labels

AuthorMessage
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
June 17th, 2008 at 10:21pm
Labels can be a new form of bullying, because I have heard stories of kids saying that a few kids have been killed or have killed themselves for being classified as "emo". It constantly others me, because people at school label me as emo and constantly ask if I cut myself when I dont.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
June 20th, 2008 at 06:46pm
Burning Friend:
Do we even need labels?

No, of course not. Kids did fine without them for so many years, I don't see why we'd need them now.
this is from the beginning of the thread, but I was reading back, and saw this, and just had to comment.
whaaaa? "kids did fine without them for so many years"? this just isn't true, they've always been around. as I said earlier, and is still my opinion,

enjoy the unknown.:
Labels are caused by the same survival skills that mean that you have friends, the creation of an "us" and a "them".
So I think it's stupid, and people shouldn't act on stereotypes, but I also think all this "labels are for cans" stuff is ridiculous. We're always going to judge people like that, it's just how humans are. All we can do is try and stop ourselves from letting that become the only thing.

a lot of people on here keep acting like labels are something new, they're not. they've been around since pretty much forever, and aren't just some new form that bullying has taken or something.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 20th, 2008 at 11:28pm
Vampire Kisses.:
Labels can be a new form of bullying, because I have heard stories of kids saying that a few kids have been killed or have killed themselves for being classified as "emo". It constantly others me, because people at school label me as emo and constantly ask if I cut myself when I dont.

As enjoy the unknown. stated above (and several other people in this thread) - labeling is not a "new" form of bullying. It is unfortunate that there have been people killed for being "emo" etc., but it has been happening for decades now. Not necessarily emos being beat up or killed etc., but other subcultures.
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
June 21st, 2008 at 01:08pm
mindfuck.:

As enjoy the unknown. stated above (and several other people in this thread) - labeling is not a "new" form of bullying. It is unfortunate that there have been people killed for being "emo" etc., but it has been happening for decades now. Not necessarily emos being beat up or killed etc., but other subcultures.

I used "emo" as an example because I know that there is "DEATH TO EMO" violnece in mexico.
there was an article in SPIN about it. I honestly think its osurd that people cant live the way they wanna live, listen to the music they wanna listen to, or dress how they want to,
lovemomusicbaby
Killjoy
lovemomusicbaby
July 29th, 2008 at 03:59am
Okay, well. This is going to be put here, so... yea,
Oh, & I hate labels, she's calling me emo just coz I listen to MCR!
GAY!

'Okay, this chick keeps baggin me on msn, just because I listen to MCR

So here is the convo!

Oh * I'm Melissa the music lover.
Liz is my friend Elizabeth [the good one]
& Bring Lizzie to the hirozion is the one who is baggin us.

[Melissa the music lover™] *mio chimico romanzesco* [I'm attacking the darkness!] {I Mikey!} -No, you cannot have a pony!- says:
Why did you give ellie my addy?
Bring Lizzie The Horizon™ $$$ I love Joe Jonas =] love you olivia. serena & tina (: says:
cause youre an emo
Bring Lizzie The Horizon™ $$$ I love Joe Jonas =] love you olivia. serena & tina (: says:
lolol
[Melissa the music lover™] *mio chimico romanzesco* [I'm attacking the darkness!] {I Mikey!} -No, you cannot have a pony!- says:
1.i'm not an emo, just ask all my friends
2. Please don't call me emo!
you listen to mcr
yes, got a problem. They are just a band. i can listen to them whenever I want!
Lol
their all so uglyy
then why did you like frank?
cuz i did
idk
just a phase
yes, a phase. Like weraing your aunties hammar pants...

OMFG THEY ARE SO COOL!
aunties hammar pants? the hell is that hahaa
OMFG, you wirdo, You know in the 80's they are those puffy pants!
wirdo?
you mean weirdo
Whateve
and no im not a weirdo
yOU ARE
Everyone is weird in their own way!

Liz has been added to the conversation.

DAMN IT!
YAY!
rewwwwwwwwwwww
emos
emos
Liz says:
what..
emosemosemosemosemosemosemos
emosemosemosemosemosemosemosemos
emosemosemosemosemosemosemosemos
emosemosemosemosemosemosemosemosv
emosemosemosemosemosemosemosemosv
WTF?!?! Liz is not emo!
Liz says:
right

So, tell me what you think!'

So... yea.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 29th, 2008 at 04:17am
^I think there's really no reason to get upset about that. If she's not your friend then why do you care what she thinks?

Labeling is always going to happen. It's just human nature to try and fit everything into a category. When it's taken to the extreme, it's not good. I don't think a label should stop you from being friends with someone, I have friends that are preps, jocks, gangsters and everything in between. The problem isn't labels it's when people are prejudiced against others because of a label. Ultimately a label only defines a small part of who you are, it doesn't make up the whole you.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 29th, 2008 at 09:47am
lovemomusicbaby, I get a feeling she was just calling you "emo" to get some kind of reaction out of you. And it obviously worked.
If it happens next time (although maybe you should just block her...) don't feed her ammunition by even replying.

But I don't really see how this fits in with this discussion...
O.o
Day Of The Dead
Salute You in Your Grave
Day Of The Dead
July 29th, 2008 at 04:18pm
The Joker:
I honestly I don't like labeling just because lets say if you were called an emo lots of people would give you abuse about cutting yourself. Its just an evil stereotype.
It is also making you the same as everyone else in a way so if you wanted to be different it wouldn't matter you'd still be called the same label. Like mcr with the black parade because people are ignorant they still called mcr emo so no matter what direction they take an album no matter what they do they will still have a minority of people calling them emo no matter and then they get blamed for suicide when we all know that that is bull shit.
Does that make sense?

I agree with you completly...people won't care if they change their musical direction..they will be still known to them as the band that makes teens depressed and suicidal.......Rolling Eyes

I don't like th label emo...just because of the fact that people think if you're emo you cut yourself, mope around all day feeling sorry for yourself and just are really miserable all the time...I got called that a lot and I hated it because I was actually trying to deal with my friend's death and it was really hard..having to go to school and be called that on top of everything, it just gets to you.
lovemomusicbaby
Killjoy
lovemomusicbaby
July 30th, 2008 at 06:53am
Thanks guys.

& yes, I do have friends who are types of 'Labels' but at my high school we don't use labels as it was when i was in primary school!

So thanks, I just won't bother wating my time with her!
Eight Bitter Years.
Killjoy
Eight Bitter Years.
July 30th, 2008 at 01:29pm
I really dont like slipknot and stuff and im not grebo.. but sometimes i am classified or labeled as emo. sometimes it doesnt bother me but sometimes it makes me mad that people label people by their music, because i dont dress like an emo... but sometimes i feel like one.. especially when i listen to mcr.. but i do think labeling is kind of a bullying form because some people can be offended by people telling them who they are.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 30th, 2008 at 01:43pm
^What is grebo?
I don't agree with the whole 'labeling is bullying'. I think stereotyping and judging others based on labels is bullying.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 30th, 2008 at 02:28pm
Eponine:
^What is grebo?
I don't agree with the whole 'labeling is bullying'. I think stereotyping and judging others based on labels is bullying.
A blanket term used in Birmingham, England to describe goths/skaters/alternatives. Generally used by pikeys (kevs and shazzes), trendies and others, in disgust.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 30th, 2008 at 02:39pm
^Ah, thank you.
Toybox Trash
Killjoy
Toybox Trash
July 30th, 2008 at 03:18pm
lables are interesting. without them we're pretty much a dead culture. we'd all be just like each other.

& all that 'labling me something i'm not' bull is annoying. why do you care what other people think? it's easy to just ignore them.
Toybox Trash
Killjoy
Toybox Trash
July 30th, 2008 at 03:18pm
lables are interesting. without them we're pretty much a dead culture. we'd all be just like each other.

& all that 'labling me something i'm not' bull is annoying. why do you care what other people think? it's easy to just ignore them.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 30th, 2008 at 03:30pm
Dee Dee Ramone:
all that 'labling me something i'm not' bull is annoying. why do you care what other people think? it's easy to just ignore them.

I completely agree.
If you look 'emo' or act 'emo' or listen to 'emo' music you're going to get labeled 'emo', but that doesn't matter. If it bothers you, then you need to learn to not care what others think.
beautiful loser.
Really Not Okay
beautiful loser.
July 30th, 2008 at 09:45pm
i'm labled emo all the time just because i used to cut myself. and i'm labled goth because i am atheist. no one calls me punk because no one knows what punk is anymore. but people dont bully me about it. if someone starts to label someone then bullies them about it, that's a problem.
BlaCkStAInsWhiTE
Killjoy
BlaCkStAInsWhiTE
July 30th, 2008 at 11:14pm
I know how much labling can hurt. And I've been bullied over the whole 'emo' lable. Emo used to be a music genre, but you know what sterotypes has made emo now? A pair of skinny jeans and a haircut! If you have anything alternative then you're 'emo'.

I think that if someone lables you as something your not, then they obviously don't know you well enough to be your friend, so why should you care what catagory they put you in? It's their loss.

Yes a motherly thing to say but honestlyyy. Give me a break with the whole emo thing.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 30th, 2008 at 11:19pm
BlaCkStAInsWhiTE:
I know how much labling can hurt. And I've been bullied over the whole 'emo' lable.

I wouldn't consider that labeling, I would consider that a prejudice that is based on a label. I think that kind of problem stems from judgmental biases.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
August 1st, 2008 at 06:22pm
lovemomusicbaby:
Okay, well. This is going to be put here, so... yea,
Oh, & I hate labels, she's calling me emo just coz I listen to MCR!
GAY!

'Okay, this chick keeps baggin me on msn, just because I listen to MCR
if you wanna add her then here is her addy ............@hotmail.com

Please edit your post to take out that girls email.

It's an invasion of privacy, no matter what she said to you.