All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 2nd, 2007 at 01:11pm
NotOkay22:
All_You_Need_Is_Love:
NotOkay22:
All_You_Need_Is_Love:
Diana_a7x:
To me labels are a good and bad thing...hard to explain

Perhaps you should try, because I fail to see how labelling a human being is positive?

People being labeled can help you find other who are like you. Like when I started high school I was right away labeled an "emo". I was told to go hang out with the other "emos" who hung out in the courtyard. So I did. And I made many close friends in the "emo" group that I found that day, and I am still close to a lot of them today, as a freshman in college. Labels aren't always bad.

That's a good way to live?
Only hanging out with people who other people tell you are your kind?

Labels should not define a person.

Human beings are human beings.
Just because two people like the same style of clothes doesn't mean they're the same kind of people and it doesn't mean they should be defined as a simple music genre.

Well if it works then it sure as hell isnt a bad way to live.

Yes it is.
And it doesn't work.

It's a terrible way to live to only get to know the people who others tell you you are like.

Make your own friends and be your own person.
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
October 2nd, 2007 at 06:19pm
^^I dont see how finding other people who are like you, and befriending them is a bad thing...

I never said to only be friends with those people, but it isnt a bad place to start.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 2nd, 2007 at 08:26pm
How do you know they're like you?

A good place to start would be sitting down next to someone the first day of classes and saying, "hi, I'm ____." A good place to start would be being outgoing.

You don't have to look at people's clothes and listen to what other people define you as to make friends.
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
October 2nd, 2007 at 09:35pm
All_You_Need_Is_Love:
How do you know they're like you?

A good place to start would be sitting down next to someone the first day of classes and saying, "hi, I'm ____." A good place to start would be being outgoing.

You don't have to look at people's clothes and listen to what other people define you as to make friends.

Yea, you dont have to. But its an easier way to find people with the same interests then just going around saying hello to everyone. You dont have to do it that way. Im just saying that I dont think labels are really that big deal.
Sophi17
Killjoy
Sophi17
October 2nd, 2007 at 10:39pm
hmmm this is a tough one.

i don't really agree with labbelling but i guess im a bit of a hypocryte im forver saying 'chav' but i guess it is a tpe of bullying as people use it as an offence don't tehy like 'dirty emo' and stuff like that... yeah i thnk we should all try and stop labbelling people
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 3rd, 2007 at 02:02am
I agree, labels are that big a deal.

I never said say hello to everyone, but it's better to be outgoing than to only talk to people who dress like you and who others tell you are like you.
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
October 3rd, 2007 at 03:49am
All_You_Need_Is_Love:

I never said say hello to everyone, but it's better to be outgoing than to only talk to people who dress like you and who others tell you are like you.

I still don't think its that big a deal. if you don't like labeling, then don't label.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 3rd, 2007 at 04:28am
I don't. And I don't want to be, I don't want my friends to be.

It's a disgusting, all-too-accepted form of harassment.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
October 3rd, 2007 at 04:35am
All_You_Need_Is_Love:

What if you just aren't an outgoing person? What then, you're just screwed?
Anyway, if we didn't have this kind of instinct, we wouldn't have friends in the first place. It's the "us" and "them" thing that all this relates to.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 3rd, 2007 at 04:37am
lucien.:
All_You_Need_Is_Love:

What if you just aren't an outgoing person? What then, you're just screwed?
Anyway, if we didn't have this kind of instinct, we wouldn't have friends in the first place. It's the "us" and "them" thing that all this relates to.

Talk to people you have classes with.
Talk to people who talk to you.
You don't have to be outgoing for that.

And if it weren't for superficial labels and the rest of the world trying to define us as people, there wouldn't an "us" and "them" "instinct."

Human beings are human beings.
My outfit does not define my being.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
October 3rd, 2007 at 06:18am
well i'd be fine with labels if people didn't just look at you and say, "oh she's emo, she cuts herself and...." thats when i have a problem with it. but i do the same there alot of ghetto, gangster, chivas i my area, i look at someoe like that and i almost automatically think they're stupid, a waste of time blah blah blah. we all do it, its human nature, but we should give people a chance, call me a hippocrite but hey.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
October 3rd, 2007 at 12:40pm
I think that it's part of human nature to define what is around us, and that includes other people. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, only that this is how it is.

It's not just at schools. It came up at my work the other day. We were at a meeting and talking about raising funds for a scholarship campaign, and getting people involved. The executive director pointed out, "Look for the person in the business suit, clean-cut, with the BMW, you know, they guy who looks like he has connections."

I objected to that because looking at me you would have NO IDEA how many "connections" I have. I'm considered the "crazy" one of my leadership group because I'm the one with the bright red hair, funky car, who listens to "emo" (and yes, I HATE that label!) music and hangs out with comic geeks. But with an e-mail or a phone call, I can get world-famous artists to do appearances for fundraisers or PR events. I probably could get a few of them to help with our scholarship event. But I'm not the "type" of person they want us to look out for, and I'm certainly not going to volunteer because I was offended by the labeling.

Every person, regardless of their label, is a person. It doesn't matter if they are the ghettoest of the ghettos, preppiest of the preps (is that one even used anymore?) or emoest of the emos, they are still people and deserve basic human rights and respect.
The Joker
Salute You in Your Grave
The Joker
October 4th, 2007 at 09:12pm
^^^ i agree with you. People nowadays are judged from the outside. You could be the nicest person in the world but that wouldn't matter you're judged by what clothes you're wearing. Also its ruining individuality, some people want to dress to these labels like they're the new fashion, I don't, i wear what the hell i like its my life i can do what the hell i want. i don't want to be judged i just want to be me.
souverian.
Demolition Lover
souverian.
October 5th, 2007 at 12:48am
Truthfully, i hate labels. People nowadays want to shorten everything. Instead of saying a complete sentence to describe someone accurately, they clomp it into one word and slap it on people. They don't even fit the person most of the time and the stereotypes that comes along with these labels can be very cruel and hurtful.
[emos-slit wrists,preps-are sluts, etc...]

but if you want to be labeled i guess thats your choice. Personally i dont approve off it because all this labeling causes too much problems and arguments. You cant judge people by their look or what they wear.
Silent_Whispers
Salute You in Your Grave
Silent_Whispers
October 5th, 2007 at 02:07am
I think that labels are getting horrible...everywhere I go, I can't even walk through the halls of my high school without being called Emo and or goth...its like everyone have gone mad...I swear...people need to get a fucking life
Rouge
Killjoy
Rouge
October 5th, 2007 at 04:42am
I understand the total harpooning of labels, some of which could just F**k u up
but u learn to get over them, I did atleast, and all those who had can just suck the membrane that gave them there other chromosome

Soory if u cant understand so to put it in laxed term
Go suck ur dads cock
norsis
Fabulous Killjoy
norsis
October 5th, 2007 at 10:49am
I have to admit that I label things and people quite often. But seriously who doesn't? If you don't know anything about the thing or the person, you cannot tell what is the reality. You judge things by its cover. But that's why I have tried to learn not to judge a book by its cover - it's useless and cruel. I wouldn't want anyone to label me, so I'm trying not to do that either.
my chemical romance.
Banned
my chemical romance.
October 5th, 2007 at 04:38pm
Silent_Whispers:
I think that labels are getting horrible...everywhere I go, I can't even walk through the halls of my high school without being called Emo and or goth...its like everyone have gone mad...I swear...people need to get a fucking life
You label yourself though.
Like, right in your signature.
Why is it alright to call yourself emo, but when other people call you that you get offended?

I'm getting so tired of people who are self-proclaimed "emos", and stereotypically go around and bash "preps and chavs", while complaining about being called emo.
Well is it not the same thing? You're still generalizing people based on appearance and insulting them, are you not?

Labeling is going to be natural. There's really no way to avoid it.
I don't think people should make it seem so dramatic.
And if it really bothers you to be called emo, how about you stop being such a cliché?
Fantasma
Demolition Lover
Fantasma
October 5th, 2007 at 05:57pm
Well we use labels to define something. It`s easier to say "it`s kinda emo" which gives you immediatly the idea of what is the subject about. But to be honest I´m very tired of labelling every song emo. `This song is so fucking emo because that dude fucking yells his lungs out in the end of that song`. I don`t mean to say that everyone does so, but I just feel so tired when I check out the comments on youtube: it feels like every song with just a slight of emotion is labelled emo. Erm excuse me, but aren`t songs meant to be emotional in a way or another?
x_gerard_way_lover_x
Killjoy
x_gerard_way_lover_x
October 6th, 2007 at 03:39pm
i hate being labeled . this guy in my class at scholl sits there and says to me and my mate (he is ment to be mates with my mate) "uck go away and cut yourself" or something like that . he says things like that and calls us emo just because we like bands like mcr and aiden and fall out boy . its really stupid . i dont know if anyone else classes me as anything but i would liked to be classed as just a normal human being with a great taste in music lol