Don't have an account? Create one!

Labels

AuthorMessage
P A N D O R A
Demolition Lover
P A N D O R A
February 4th, 2008 at 11:32pm
Bleeding Dry:
Labelling is a definite form of bullying.
I know because people suffer from it where i am. even the ones who hate it.
impression of my friend.
"I am not emo! i hate being labelled!"
2 secs later
"Eurgh... look at those chavs over there."

I rest my case.
The Joker
Salute You in Your Grave
The Joker
February 5th, 2008 at 03:59pm
i understand what you're saying when you say "we label apples fruit" etc

but what about when people shout "oi emo go slit your wrists and die!"
i really can not see a way in which this can be acceptable. These sort of comments can lead kids to slitting their wrists.
Jewella1291
Killjoy
Jewella1291
February 5th, 2008 at 08:56pm
I think labeling leads to the formation of cliques, which creates a way to segregate ourselves to the point were it seems as if we are against each other(i.e. preps vs. emos) . I think the reason why we label people is to differentiate between types of people and their personalities.I think that labeling is sometimes misleading because when someone hears a certain word (emo, prep, jock or punk) they automatically think certain things about them and what they're into and about their values, we should be known as who we are as individuals, not as clique-stereotypes. I think labeling is bad because it causes separation among a large group, a hierarchy in a society where we're all supposed to be equal . Now I understand that people can choose who they hang out with and that they don't necessarily need to like every single person for whatever reason, but we don't need to have labels put on us that cause errors in judgment or an unnecessary conflict among people. I do believe that labeling leads to bullying because as i said before, labeling leads to a "social hierarchy" where people feel that they are better than someone else and that they can use their social status as a reason to make fun of someone because they're different than them. People's incorrect thoughts about themselves and the judgment of others shouldn't be such a big problem!
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
February 5th, 2008 at 09:53pm
dizzy water:

i really can not see a way in which this can be acceptable. These sort of comments can lead kids to slitting their wrists.

that is why i don't see how she can compare labeling to naming an apple a fruit. that is completely different type of label right there.

i believe it is a form of bullying, and honeslty it needs to stop.
Knitted.monkey.sock
Salute You in Your Grave
Knitted.monkey.sock
February 5th, 2008 at 09:59pm
people think that uniformed schools are better (there are HEAPS where i live and they are public schools, not religious private ones) because then you arn't juged on what you wear.
oh but they were so so so wrong
i've just finished school and i've realised that if you arn't judged on your clothes, you are judged on the way you wear your hair, your bag, your choice of school shoes or even your face.
bottom line. kids are mean. they will find a way to pick on you no matter what the circumstances

side note: we had no uniform in the last year of school and because everyone knew each other and no one was that catty about what we chose to wear
Sex and Candy
Salute You in Your Grave
Sex and Candy
February 6th, 2008 at 03:47pm
labelling is a bunch of crap, Just a few hours ago I was labelled Sad, by some idiot, he called me a Duch man and a emo-goth wanna be just because of this one group that I joined, he also said that Emo's just love being sad all the time and its not true, I've met some emo people and they are the sweetest people ever. So people should really stop labelling!!! :@
sonny is god!
Really Not Okay
sonny is god!
February 6th, 2008 at 09:27pm
i think labels are stupid.

i hate when people pigeonhole people into a specific group.

people are themselves not emo,goth,jock,etc

LABELS ARE FOR SOUP CANS!
sad savior;
Wild Eyed Joker
sad savior;
February 8th, 2008 at 12:20pm
I think labels are a type of bullying.
People just think that if you wear anything black, you're "goth" or "emo" or whatever.
Or if you cut yourself, you're "emo", which is why so many people call me that, but they just don't see why people accually do it. It's because alot of problems are going on in their life, not just because they want to be "emo".

I think labels are pointless, and people should not be categorized for what they wear or what music they listen to or who their friends are.
CyanidexDeath
Jazz Hands
CyanidexDeath
February 8th, 2008 at 05:29pm
I think hat labeling people is really horrible. Its a form of bullying. But its in our human nature. And in a way its like a drug once you get hooked its hard to stop. But i think that if we cant stop it that we the people being labeled by some stupid jock, should accept it or just make fun of it. Like i wear so much black and tight shit.. so im always the emo in my classes. And you know what? when some stupid jock calls me an emo im like "Yep im the emo" it helps put them down with out being mean
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
February 8th, 2008 at 05:39pm
Lables are only bullying when you ARE your lable, and no longer an individual. Otherwise, lables are really just an easier way to describe someone without saying "that one girl with the red pants and pink hair and...."
freak_boi
Killjoy
freak_boi
February 8th, 2008 at 09:12pm
lables = bullshit.
Thats my opinion any way, i used to get bullied alot and still get the odd thing off people because im slightly different.
I think its stupid,
I see it as a little faciast (sp? pardon my crappy spelling if not)
Because its always
'wheeeey! your a chavvy bastard'
'eee no am not ya emo'
blah blah blah, cant escape it lol. Like the above said, i really do agree with you.
androidgirl
Motor Baby
androidgirl
February 10th, 2008 at 06:59am
labelling is just another form of segregation. whether a person likes it or not, they get labelled so that they would be able to 'fit in'.
well, its sort of like bullying cause you get to be put in this certain place where they think you 'belong' and actually its just the whole way the whole world is arranging itself to social hiearchies and what not.

bottomline: LABELLING SUCKS.
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
February 10th, 2008 at 07:21am
Labeling is never good. it's not ethical to categorize other people bu the way you see them.

Labeling is a form of bullying, except less physical, more verbal.

The world would do well without labelers. They're just people who have nothing better to do than think of another way to make people feel bad.
Cyanide Romance
Killjoy
Cyanide Romance
February 14th, 2008 at 01:34pm
now, labels to me r just society's way of classiying us. they think we r emo just because we wear black and r in love with MCR, but they r just afraid of a bunch of us running around, proud to b who we r. so they put labels on us to "keep us in line". personally, i hate labels, they think they do truly suck. Im emo and proud, and they make it sound like a sin when they call us emo, and that pisses me off so much. but remember, violence isn't the answer. if people r giving u a rough time and u can't take it, talk to someone who can help.
patrick wolf
Salute You in Your Grave
patrick wolf
February 15th, 2008 at 03:34am
i think labeling is a form of bullying
BUT everybody [well most people, including me] do it, even if they don't say it out loud.
when people are saying it to be mean, then it's bullying.
but then again if you wear black skinny jeans and tight band t's, with hair that covers half your face, you are asking for it [yes, i know that sounds mean, but when i get dressed in the morning i realise that people probably will judge me no matter what i wear. so in the end it doesn't matter that much]
At my school we have very strict uniforms, we have to wear our hair up with a white ribbon/bow in it [yeah, don't do what i did and stick a red one in there. they'll get very angry]
and we all have to wear black school shoes, so there's not really much to judge us by, but somehow you can still tell which stereotype people are.
sir_pleb
Jazz Hands
sir_pleb
February 19th, 2008 at 07:25pm
The Joker:

That is because the human race is, at the heart of things, tribal. Most are born to want to fit in, and attempt to categorise and order things. Once they find the group they fit in with, they become wary of other groups. They think the others are different, and in a way they're right, or else they'd be in the same group. Once in these groups, individual voices are lost because they don't want to rock the boat and lose their place. Add in a natural degree of selfishness, and everyone tries to keep the others below them, to stop any threat.

Essentially, people are bastards.
oceanic 815.
Full of Ephedrine
oceanic 815.
February 19th, 2008 at 07:47pm
Don't swear and don't spam, please.
Other.
Bleeding on the Floor
Other.
February 20th, 2008 at 10:37pm
Most labels are pretty pointless and incorrect. I know people who dress like preps, but they aren't rich and their favorite bands are a combo of rap and death metal.
Sometimes though labels can be pretty acurate. I might say so and so is a slut.
And then someone will ask me why and I'll say:
"She was rubbing her foot on Darrin's crotch."
I sometimes call people emo (to me emo means the fake goths who whine about their non-existant problems) but that would only be if I know then and have hung around them enough that I can make that judgment.
At the same time I'm hypocritical because I hate being labeled. There's one girl in my class who says I'm emo because she thinks I cut myself. I don't. She doesn't even know me. So it pisses me off.
BjaMdTc-GD
Killjoy
BjaMdTc-GD
February 21st, 2008 at 06:26pm
I deffinetly think that lableing is the new bulleying
because i get labled all the time depending on the type of music i like......IM AN GREEN DAY/MCR/LINKIN PARK FAN AND PROUD OF IT !!!!! why should someone put me down because of the stuff i love? Goth,Emo,miss.gloom and doom etc
And ya know whats strange? the kids who wear black are MORE friendlier than the kids who wear colors!!!!
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
February 22nd, 2008 at 08:28pm
I hate labels. I'm labelled as emo all the time now and it really pisses me off. People aren't the same ya know, everyone is different despite that they might wear the same clothing or wear clothes similar to a stereotype. To me, labels are f*cking stupid.