Don't have an account? Create one!

Labels

AuthorMessage
Hooley
Fabulous Killjoy
Hooley
December 2nd, 2007 at 11:13am
labelling has always been a kind of way of bullying for years.
mods v rockers being the biggest i can think of. according to my mum (mod) and dad (rocker) it was used as a way to bully and start fights.

at school i was labelled as a greb, i didnt care. if you wanna bully me because of what i wear, then well done you for having no creativity.

im currently being labelled as emo. simply because i like mcr. I dont even have the stereotypical emo dress sense! lol you'll usually find me in 'trendy' stuff.

Labelling will always be around. It can be good and bad. And , even if we dont realise it, we're all guilty of it. You see someone in a burberry cap and gold chains, i bet i can tell you the first word that comes into your head, and we instantly judge people on how they look. Even if just for a second.

But, yes it is used to bully people, and it always will be unfortunatly.

The way i see it, as i said, if someone gets bullied for the way they look, then 9/10 the bullies just want to bully someone, and its usually someone they're 'supposed to bully' like emos v chavs.
Or am I just fat??
Really Not Okay
Or am I just fat??
December 2nd, 2007 at 08:03pm
I've heard countless stories about people being beaten up because they listen to a certain type of music, such as MCR.
And yeah, i can't even socialize and walk down the halls of school without being abused mentally and physically by the way I dress or what music I listen too.
I've also had the responce of: "If you dress like that, you're asking for it"
It hurts that you can't even be a individual.
Atleast not in my society.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
December 2nd, 2007 at 08:05pm

Many people that say that don't label, do. It's not always intentional and may just be used to describe a group of people. It's natural and a lot of people that don't like it, do. I'm not in any way saying this is right.

When people label others, usually we're not bothered. It's own when it really gets to us personally, that it's a problem.

Labelling when it's in your own head and you do not voice your opinion, is fine. If you keep saying it, teasing and tormenting them around this, then it becomes bullying.

Or am I just fat??
Really Not Okay
Or am I just fat??
December 2nd, 2007 at 08:17pm
^^^^^
I agree.
howrie
Killjoy
howrie
December 3rd, 2007 at 09:27am
i think it is bullying...i get labeled all the time and when the wrong people say it it can really get me down
Caramarillia
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Caramarillia
December 4th, 2007 at 11:06am
I personally really dislike labels and being put into a box and being dictated what I'm like, even if people don't know me at all.
I've been called emo (because I listen to MCR, and because I like wearing red and black.) - problem with that is what I associate with emo is the steriotype: cutters, whiners, being depressed all the time, wearing too tight pants and bangs over one eye.
I've never cut myself, I don't like pain and I don't really feel that there's any need for me to cut myself. I don't whine - I've never once had reasons to complain about my life. I dislike wearing tight pants and jeans all in all. the bangs I have, but it's because I like them and they fit me (I think!)
I'm just really annoyed that people think they need to label people to make sense of their looks without looking or talking with them.

I know this doesn't matter. I just wanted to say what I thought of labelling.
kasut sekolah
Bleeding on the Floor
kasut sekolah
December 6th, 2007 at 02:35am
i don't like labelling.
we're all humans.not emo or goth etc.
& just like Bleeding Dry says,people suffer from it.
ROCK-LOVER-GIRL-227
Killjoy
ROCK-LOVER-GIRL-227
December 7th, 2007 at 04:46pm
I've always hated labels, not that I wont admit using them sometimes when trying to describe how someone looked to someone else (although I try very hard in situations like that not to until most of the time the other person suggest it and I may hesitantly agree), but it's really wrong to put people into groups like that. I get called emo all the time, most of the time I just ignore it if its my friends cause there just joking around, and other people I may ignore because I figure there just ignorant, but the people I know aren't ignorant or joking I do yell at them a little and try to preach to them how its not right, not that it works often but I feel its worth a shot. That's just my opinion though.
tattooed lovers.
Motor Baby
tattooed lovers.
December 7th, 2007 at 06:01pm
It can turn into bullying. Some people don't like it, others make friends because of it. Labeling goes hand and hand with stereotyping, though.
If you're called emo, then you are probably going to get mad, because you generally stereotype emo as cutting, depression, and etc. Then preps can be stereotyped as boy-friend stealing jerks.
Labeling can hurt people, and I don't like it, but other people accept it. We've been labeling for a long time, and it's basically part of our nature now. People who say they don't label probably do.
Labeling, some teenagers, don't think it's bad. They find it easier to talk to people in their label group, and they find it easier to make friends.
So, I guess it can be good and bad...
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
December 8th, 2007 at 01:53pm
wiL Francis.:
It can turn into bullying. Some people don't like it, others make friends because of it. Labeling goes hand and hand with stereotyping, though.
If you're called emo, then you are probably going to get mad, because you generally stereotype emo as cutting, depression, and etc. Then preps can be stereotyped as boy-friend stealing jerks.
Labeling can hurt people, and I don't like it, but other people accept it. We've been labeling for a long time, and it's basically part of our nature now. People who say they don't label probably do.
Labeling, some teenagers, don't think it's bad. They find it easier to talk to people in their label group, and they find it easier to make friends.
So, I guess it can be good and bad...
very true
Rain Through Me
Banned
Rain Through Me
December 8th, 2007 at 02:54pm
For the love of Bob!
people label people because the people just wanna make themselves feel better.
they wanna pick on the kids with the most problems.
or with scars on their wrist, they go through enough shit already they don't need to go through more.
it's bullying
it hurts
no one wants to be called emo or gothic or the little suicidal brat.
no one wants to go through that
i go through it enough everyday.

labels are for Soup Cans!
Not People!
Brain damage
Salute You in Your Grave
Brain damage
December 9th, 2007 at 04:07pm
i have a label as the girl with the strage laughter , who can have a bit of a mouth on her i guuess
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
December 9th, 2007 at 09:21pm
see labels can be good, or bad. they can be good in the sense that maybe you're labeled as someone with an amazing sense of humor, or the person that everyone loves, etc. but it could be bad in the sense that you're labeled as a freak, or some emo kid etc.
Star Ashes
Fabulous Killjoy
Star Ashes
December 11th, 2007 at 12:12pm
yep i get bullied alot about my music taste and clothes style... things get thrown at me, i get smoke blown in my face... i get spat on..... i dont take the mick out of labelling but i do label the people i hate.... its my way of getting back at them... i see no point in fighting so i label chavs under my breath...... its what i think they deserve for doing to me... .i hate to make enemies so it's easier for me to do it my own way
harry goldfarb.
Bleeding on the Floor
harry goldfarb.
December 12th, 2007 at 10:12pm
Do we even need labels?
i think people need labels as to "organize" some people from others, like people who are neat and organized need a label for a lot of things. (i'm not saying all neat and organized, only some.)

What do you think the point of labelling is?
honestly, i'm not completely sure. maybe so to seperate some people from others based on either personality, looks, or musical taste. no idea though other than that.

Is labelling a good or bad thing?
depends on how you look at it. to me, the only good thing is that it shows people are different and aren't all the same. it says that not everyone is into this one artist or clothing line, showing that people have different opinions. it's also considered a bad thing because people take labeling to another level.

Is labelling a type of bullying?
if taken to a certain level, yes. people might at first just go, "ew, you're emo" but it can turn into bullying. when someone is picked on for being "emo" and someone says, "go home, cry, and slit your wrists you fucking emo" then someone will probably get hurt emotionally, and possibley physically. people say, "oh i hate labels, they're for soup cans not people" but then they end up saying "i hate preps who call me emo" it's like, wtf? i am guilty of saying that a couple of times, as i'm sure many people are.

sorry for the lengthy post.
SINATRA
Bleeding on the Floor
SINATRA
December 15th, 2007 at 04:53am
to be completely honest, i think people subconciously label themselves before anybody can do it. then, when somebody calls them out on it, they get defensive....i don't really get it. i'm not saying everyone does this, but some do.
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
December 15th, 2007 at 09:25am
the only lable you should have is
on your forhead reading "ME"

Burning Friend
Banned
Burning Friend
December 16th, 2007 at 02:48am
Do we even need labels?

No, of course not. Kids did fine without them for so many years, I don't see why we'd need them now.

What do you think the point of labelling is?

To make people feel like they and their friends are of lesser level of quality and respect.

Is labelling a good or bad thing?

Unless you're talking about lunchroom tables, then it's a bad thing.

Is labelling a type of bullying?

Yes, and it's not just the bully/snobby types who do it. The preps call emos emo, the emos call the preps preppy. AKA, the kids in American Eagle jeans and the kids in eyeliner make fun of each other. It works both ways. You can't expect to not be labeled when you label others. Personally though, I think people get WAY too caught up in being labeled. Besides, I think that trend's going out.
alucard.
Jazz Hands
alucard.
December 16th, 2007 at 06:55pm
Labelling people is wrong, but it's everywhere now. It seems like in this soceity today we arent allowed to be individuals.

Where I live nearly everyone is into this fluro clothing trend right now and because I'm not and i am dress a tiny bit emo but I'm still a really happy and fun person, get insulted so much just because of how i look. Some randoms even threw things at me the other day.

Its sad that people cannot tolerate uniqueness and individuality.
alucard.
Jazz Hands
alucard.
December 16th, 2007 at 07:20pm
Read this. THIS is why I hate labelling.