Don't have an account? Create one!

Labels

AuthorMessage
never coming home.
Bleeding on the Floor
never coming home.
December 17th, 2007 at 07:51pm
TheVampireToaster:
Read this. THIS is why I hate labelling.

---That's about the most shallow thing that I have ever seen! I hate how people stereotype people. The person that wrote that say emo people need to get a life but it's not their fault that something in their life has gone so wrong that they feel they need to let out inner pain by causing themselves physical pain. And some of the comments at the bottom were just as shallow and sickening. I'm not emo but every once in awhile someone will say my pants are too tight. Some poeple have tighter pants than others and so poeple judge them off of that. It's the people like that that need to get a life.
whitney.
Shotgun Sinner
whitney.
December 17th, 2007 at 07:59pm
I liked your headline. I do think it's a type of bullying. Labeling somebody based on what they look like can really
make someone feel bad. What you look like doesn't define who you are inside. Cheesy I know.

And I dont think we need labels. We dont need them, but we do have them. I really dont think there's anything we can change about that.

I think the point of labeling is to define a person in an easy way. For example,
if somebody asked you, "Hey, what's the new girl like?"
You could simply respond, "OH, she's kind of emoo."
But I think this has grown into more - into more as in making fun of people.

Labeling is definitely something I could struggle with deciding wether it's good or bad.
Because everybody does it. Let's admit it guys. Everybody.
But it can get really bad sometimes. :/
It's horrid.
MelancholyMisery
Salute You in Your Grave
MelancholyMisery
December 17th, 2007 at 11:06pm
Do we even need labels?
no i dont think so

What do you think the point of labelling is?
well i label people so I know who they are and wether to stay away from them or not.
we have the blonde bitches, they arent all blonde and they arent all bitches and only half of them are stupid beyond help but theres somthing about them that they dont understand us, no empathy and they all have the same reaction.
I dont hate them, i just dont want to be friends with them and they dont want to be friends with us. we group people so we know who they are.
Not like ew your a smoker i dont want to be friends with you, its more like
oh your a smoker, yeh ive seen you hanging round behind A block.
hey he's a smoker, (oh yeh NOW i know where i saw you)
it may seem mean but really we dont mean it to be.
People group us too, We do find it offensive when they walk past us and call us names and stuff, but really its only natural i understand why they think it. (if the assholes could just shut their mouths and keep it to themselves)

Is labelling a type of bullying?
it can be but its not always

tattooed lovers.
Motor Baby
tattooed lovers.
December 20th, 2007 at 12:20am
TheVampireToaster:

Oh my god, that's horrible. The person who wrote that jammed the article full of childlike stereotypes and biased statements.
That is defintely a reason why I dislike labels, because there is always someone out there who hates someone because of the group they are generalized in,
Orange_mocha
Killjoy
Orange_mocha
December 20th, 2007 at 12:23am
I don't really care about labels too much. It's basic instinct for humans to put everything and everyone into groups of other similar things. The way I see it, if people feel the need to label other people, then they just have a lesser developed brain than the rest of us. That's not their fault...
bright lights x x
Really Not Okay
bright lights x x
December 25th, 2007 at 07:53pm
labels suck.
i know people who litteraly go crazy from it just because most of them are lies and the people do it just because they're jerks.
for instance at my school im considered a "colorful goth"....?
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
December 25th, 2007 at 08:27pm
bright lights x x:
labels suck.
i know people who litteraly go crazy from it just because most of them are lies and the people do it just because they're jerks.
for instance at my school im considered a "colorful goth"....?

Thats just because they, the labelers, are bored, which is a stupid excuse and well..it shouldn't be
DeadInTheWater
Fabulous Killjoy
DeadInTheWater
December 26th, 2007 at 01:00pm
hmm labels can be useful,
they can help people like describe themselves easily and that,

but sometimes when labels are used as an isult or such they can be really hurtful,

there are pros and cons
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
December 26th, 2007 at 07:55pm
Are you punk, goth, poser, prep, rebel, geek/nerd, hippie, or jock? You don't label yourself? Good for you! Most labels are hurtful, anyway. Besides, if you get straight A's, are you exactly a 'nerd'? If you like pink and Jessica Simpson, are you a 'prep'? It really doesn't matter what we like! Labels are for soup cans! I mean, in our own way, everybody is individual. Not all 'goths' wear all black and are bad kids. Not all 'jocks' live on sports. In fact, if you would call someone a rebel because they protest against KFC, they might get mad at you. They aren't a rebel, because it's only 1 thing; they're rebelling and sticking up for what they believe is right! And what do you have to say on this?
a_h
Thinking Happy Thoughts
a_h
December 28th, 2007 at 02:06pm
dizzy water:
I know that this is probably does not seem as serious as other topics but I was wondering what you thought about labelling (bands, people etc)
The most used labels nowadays are emo and grebo and it seems if you like rock music you are placed in either of these categories.

Do we even need labels?
Is labelling a good or bad thing?
etc.

1. no one "needs" a label, but this has been going on for quite some time but more so in the past few years
2. in most aspects its a bad thing, because normally when people are arguing they start to break out the labeling, but other times people call themselves a certain thing and i think that is thier choice... there is nothing we can do about it
3.i think it probably could be a type of bullying. like when people call other people a "stupid prep" or a "scary goth". those words can be hurtful.
Shits in Suits
Killjoy
Shits in Suits
December 28th, 2007 at 04:02pm
I have absolutley nothing against labelling.
Labels, they help me when trying to tell someone about someone.

What I do hate, however, is the sterotypes that come with labels.
And when labels are used as insults.
Colorado Sunrise.
Salute You in Your Grave
Colorado Sunrise.
December 28th, 2007 at 04:45pm
cheeya it's bullying.

atleast it feels like bullying.

it like everyone on INO.net gets labeled.

labels are for clothing and department stores...not PEOPLE.
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
December 28th, 2007 at 05:46pm
Fayiirah:
I have absolutley nothing against labelling.
Labels, they help me when trying to tell someone about someone.

What I do hate, however, is the sterotypes that come with labels.
And when labels are used as insults.

Depending on how people uses them, which many many have misused many
daneeissxc.
Jazz Hands
daneeissxc.
December 29th, 2007 at 02:16pm
TheVampireToaster:

Oh.My.Fuckin.God.

Seriously, this is going way out of hand. That article is actually bullying and making fun of emo scene kids. Why?
Is it because we listen to a certain genre of music?
Is it because of the way we dress?
Is it because of the way we act?
Is it because we're emotional, like every other human being on this Earth?
If so, then label me emo. Personally, I think I'm me. So if being me means acting like a depressed kid who writes poetry all the time, then so be it. I'm actually happy with my life. That article just completely stereotyped every 'emo scene kid'.
I made a blog about this. Check it out.
PiaLovesMcr
Killjoy
PiaLovesMcr
December 29th, 2007 at 05:02pm
any one agree with me?
at school i get called emo, for wearing skinny jeans and converses and becos i like mcr, i hate it and labels suck and its unfair and my friend got called a moesha and she said : so im a moesha as you say, so howcome ur normal and not a label, why cant i be normal? why arent i like you? cos i like a certain band?
basically labeeling is bullying and it shuld stop.
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
December 29th, 2007 at 10:22pm
PiaLovesMcr:
any one agree with me?
at school i get called emo, for wearing skinny jeans and converses and becos i like mcr, i hate it and labels suck and its unfair and my friend got called a moesha and she said : so im a moesha as you say, so howcome ur normal and not a label, why cant i be normal? why arent i like you? cos i like a certain band?
basically labeeling is bullying and it shuld stop.

Well this is an example of how people use the term "Emo" wrongly alot. Emo is a type of music, and some how they have turned it into some sort of "style".
Here this will explain it all:
a style of rock music which describes several independent variations of music with common stylistic roots. As such, use of the term has been the subject of much debate. In the mid-1980s, the term emo described a subgenre of hardcore punk which originated in the Washington, DC music scene. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the emotional performances of bands in the Washington DC scene and some of the offshoot regional scenes such as Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party, and later, Moss Icon. (In more recent years, the term "emotive hardcore" entered the lexicon to describe the period.)

Starting in the mid-1990s, the term emo began to refer to the indie scene that followed the influences of Fugazi, which itself was an offshoot of the first wave of emo. Bands including Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is the Reason had a more indie rock style of emo, more melodic and less chaotic. The so-called "indie emo" scene survived until the late 1990s, as many of the bands either disbanded or shifted to mainstream styles. As the remaining indie emo bands entered the mainstream, newer bands began to emulate the mainstream style. As a result, the term "emo" became a vaguely defined identifier rather than a specific genre of music

I got the information from Wikipedia Smile
rackista39
Killjoy
rackista39
December 31st, 2007 at 07:20am
this labelling issue might be good if some people benefit from it (intelligence,etc)... those are the good labels but for me, it's really bad! hehe! walls are created and people can't get to see what's outside the box because people are being judged and so, they just isolate themselves... yeah, it's bullying too because bullies use stereotypes as their strengths... i base these from my experience... hehe! i get judged all the time for being everywhere i go...
chemicalsatthedisco
Jazz Hands
chemicalsatthedisco
December 31st, 2007 at 08:40pm
alright so here is MY perception of labels. without labels we wouldnt have names, adjectives, or anything else. we wouldnt know like what to call a tv show, dog types, cars, or anything else. dont get mad or anything its MY opinion. so im just putting it out there
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
January 1st, 2008 at 03:00pm
TheVampireToaster:
retard called I Write Sins not Tragedies a band
[/endspam]

I don't think labeling peoplei is wrong. I think that people prejudicing against other labels is the problem; not the labels themselves. See, calling someone a prep isn't a bad thing. Teasing someone because you called them preppy is the problem. The conflict isn't with the labels, it's with the PEOPLE.
eepshyes
Shotgun Sinner
eepshyes
January 1st, 2008 at 03:52pm
Do we even need labels?
Not neccesarily, no. I don't think we "need" them per say, but I also don't think it should matter. If you're labled emo, who gives a shit? If you're labeled prep, who gives a shit?

To identify a certain "type" of people. Simple as.

Is labelling a good or bad thing?
Depends. If someone is calling you an "emo bitch" then of course it's a bad thing. But labeling isn't supposed to be a form of insulting. Or, for some it isn't.

Like I said, it very well can be, depending on the context. If you're just calling someone a prep because they really are a prep, then it's not big deal, because it's not an insult. But when someone hates a whole group of people who fall under a label, then I think it becomes a type of bullying.

And yes people are people, not food, but it shouldn't be taken as insult when someone calls you emo. I think how you dress should reflect who you are on the inside, and usually this is the case.