Don't have an account? Create one!

Music

AuthorMessage
fancy pirouettes.
Awake and Unafraid
fancy pirouettes.
June 28th, 2008 at 02:09pm
paralyzing silence.:

Music is something that saved my life and is what keeps me entertained.
Thats all I can really say to that or I'd be repeating myself

It saved mine too but not It did not literally save your life. It didn't come over and stop you. It was your choice to save yourself. Music just helped you.
The choice to save yourself and go through with it comes from yourself and no one else. Music is just helping you make that choice by showing you that you can keep going even through the worst of times.
*wonders if that made any sense at all*
I'm sorry if I sound like I'm trying to argue with you.

like I said, I believe music can save lives but indirectly.
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
June 28th, 2008 at 02:46pm
Yus.
You are not arguing with me, because I agree with you.
I say MCR&&music saved my life
but its the message and the feeling im not alone
its like like Gerard came up to my doorstep (oh i wish rolling on floor) and begged me to stop
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
June 28th, 2008 at 07:01pm
paralyzing silence.:

Okay.
Im going to disagree with you there.
Now I was never a cutter, but I can truely say MCR did save my life
because whenever I felt depressed/suicidal
I listened to them,
and its the message and the meaning behind the songs that makes me feel like I am not alone.
Also, I believe they are remmarkable people and I made a promise to mself that I have to meet them before I die,
So when I sat there at night crying, thinking of suicide and how the world would be without me, I listened to MyChem, and the fact of knowing that im not alone and that they WANT me to live is what kept me going....

But did they physically come into your house and make you stop?
Did they put down the razor everytime you wanted to cut?
No. Don't get me wrong, I love My Chemical Romance.
They are very influential people and help make teenagers feel like they aren't alone.
But what they did was motivate you. They gave you the willpower to help give up.
You were the one who was able to stop.
You saved your life.
They just helped you emotionally to deal with it.

But I know this is a sensitive issue for you, and I don't mean to like, slash your views or anything.
hug
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
June 29th, 2008 at 12:17am
Its okay.
I they saved me emotionally
not physically.
They saved me in an indirect way.
As pointed out before
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
June 29th, 2008 at 12:55am
paralyzing silence.:

Exactly.
Barely any of the popular "music" kids listen to barely have a message
Seiously, Old rap was okay.
Now think about it.
Its mostly about Sex, Drugs, Girls (i hate w they treat women as like a prize) and gettign wasted

Think about it
Shawwteh had them applebottom jean
boots with the furr
the whole club was lookin gat hurrr
she it the flo
next thing you know
Shawteh got low,l;ow,low,low,low,low,low

or
Get you where you wanna go, if you know what I mean.
Got a ride that´s smoother than a limousine.
Can you handle the curves, can you run all the lights?
If you can baby boy, than we can go all night.
Cause it´s zero to sixty in three point five
Baby you got the keys.
Now shut up and drive, drive, drive.
Shut up and drive

Im sorry. Im trying to prove my point.
It seems to me that rock/alternative music is the only type of music these days that really has a message.
But I dont know about you guys, but local radio stations near me barely play it because its "unpopular".
Think about it: My Chemical Romance wants to save lives, and their music has a deeper meaning than what induviduals see.
Like in my school, they think hte term Welcome to the Black Parade is a racist term or its about death.
I dont know why but I have tried and tried to explain it to them ('coz trust me, im defensive over mcr)
and bands like Flyleaf: The song Cassie goes
Do you Believe in God?
Written on a bullet.
Say yes&&Pull the Trigger
Dpo you Believe in God?
Written on a bullet
and Cassie pull the trigger

Not only do people not see the talent she has with screaming (i swaer, I have never heard 'Im So Sick' or 'Sorrow' or any of their other singles other than All Around Me) people think she is telling us to commit suicide! meanwhile the song has a message and is about a sad,historical event.
I honestly think that it depends on the kinda music you listen to to say "This Band/Person saved my life" because as I p;ointed out before, popular music kids listen to these days is pretty pointless and degrading

i wasnt downing hip hop in fact i love hip hop.
in my opinion thats just their way of saying " thats a good looking girl"
and hip hops always been like that.

and so has rock and roll, for crying out loud the old moniker was "sex drugs and rock and roll" . alternative music these days can be just as mindless as any other music. not to mention a lot of alternative music talks about getting wasted as well.

i think that a lot of people cant see the beauty in hip hop because they refuse to see past the "bitches and hos ". Alternative bands always describe women in their music as being heart breakers or generally the cause of grief and sorrow, but in hip hop the women are being indeed glorified and at times just admired.

its always a misconception that hip hop is evil and that it degenerates women but honestly they're simply just admiring a womans curves and rapping about it in a provocactive manner just because they feel that way.

My chemical romance is hardly that deep in my opinion. They barely scratch the "deep meter" a lot of music out there including hip hop burst through and talk about really concerning issues in society . like with Tupac Shakur who talks about injustices and social issues all laced through his modern poetry.

but my argument basically is that no music form is completely squeaky clean.

at the end of the day the artists are writing to suit your needs as a consumer, rappers are just upfront about it.

Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 29th, 2008 at 01:12am
I agree with all of that ^^.
If anyone thinks that rap cannot be meaningful, listen to Tupac's Changes and Dear Mama and tell me what you think (at least read the lyrics). To me at least they are prime examples of how meaningful rap can be. And those are just the tip of iceberg.

I know that those songs are not recent (obv.), but I believe they are just as meaningful as any other song can be today. In fact, some rap music has influenced me (personally) more than rock or alternative or whatever.

And about people always thinking rap music videos degrade women - there are some videos by rock groups who do this as well. Avenged Sevenfold are one band who comes to mind when I think of this (not that I'm knocking Avenged - they're one of my favourite bands).
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
June 29th, 2008 at 01:32am
Migamphetamine:
My chemical romance is hardly that deep in my opinion. They barely scratch the "deep meter" a lot of music out there including hip hop burst through and talk about really concerning issues in society . like with Tupac Shakur who talks about injustices and social issues all laced through his modern poetry.[/size][/font]

Thank god, someone who finally likes mcr but agrees with me. Most mcr fans can hardly stand to hear that mcr isn't deep at all, but there it is.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
June 29th, 2008 at 01:35am

im not really a heavy mcr fan anymore. to be honest i'll probably listen to them once
every three months. Like if you look at teh subject matter and listen to the music its not really deep or meaning full its actually just a bit of a whinge.

im not hating on them., im merely just saying that it isnt what it isnt. and you shouldnt try to make it more than it is.

Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
June 29th, 2008 at 01:58am
Migamphetamine:

im not really a heavy mcr fan anymore. to be honest i'll probably listen to them once
every three months. Like if you look at teh subject matter and listen to the music its not really deep or meaning full its actually just a bit of a whinge.

im not hating on them., im merely just saying that it isnt what it isnt. and you shouldnt try to make it more than it is.

haha, yeah same here. I haven't listened to mcr in months. It's weird, I used to care so much and know I can hardly stand some of their music.

sorry if anyone thinks I'm off on a tangent.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 29th, 2008 at 02:07am
I agree with the fact that MCR's music isn't all that deep when you really analyse it, although I can see why some fans interpret their songs in that way.

I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of people see the guys in MCR as being these fantastical rock gods, but in reality they're just making music and they're not the first band to write concept albums about death, dying and tragedy.

I personally really enjoy listening to (most) of their songs, but I do not have a deep connection with them like some people do.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
June 29th, 2008 at 04:38am
paralyzing silence:

I they saved me emotionally
not physically.
They saved me in an indirect way.
As pointed out before

I am amazed at both the accusations made that “MCR did not save you” and the reactions of the “saved.” I understand where such accusations are coming from; it is perfectly logical to say that the music did not LITERLLY save you, but I also hear the other side; salvation through such people would not have been possible without the music influencing them. I also think a lot of people don’t know how to explain their feelings or understand that they in fact saved themselves and like to say MCR did it for them. But I really am surprised at how many agree and change their statement to being “indirectly saved.” Could you imagine telling a born again Christian that they were not saved by Jesus and given some new life path as a result of some divine intervention, but by there own initiative and choices? I highly doubt their reaction would be as logical and understanding.

Hey Miguel, How’s it goin? I want to say agree with you on the fact that “alternative music can be just as mindless as any other music” Yet I don’t think is so much that I refuse to see past the “bitches and hoes” as it is that I can’t. Is there anything actually there? You seam to think so, but I’m just not able to do so. I listen to the radio, I go to dances, I hear “Booty booty booty booty rockin everywhere” and I see chicks shacken there asses. Now as a heterosexual teenage male I can respect this in the sense that its got a drivin beat and I like what I’m seeing, but in the sense of expression I see it as next to nothing. To me it’s just a bunch of faceless kids swimming in a sea of retarded sexuality spewing out simple rhymes strewn with profanity and getting paid handsomely for it. Only because (and I mean no personal offense to you when I say this) the major audience today is really just a bunch of sheep who don’t know any better then just to accept whatever music is out there so they look cool among their peers. I always laugh when kids back up rappers with sales statistics. “Yeah well Lil’Wayne sold 10millon in the first 8and ¾ days So THERE!” This means aposluly nothing to me. If 10 popular kids in school (who had no musical taste to begin with) listen to the latest one hit wonder, then every follower of their entourage is gonna download it, its that simple. That is why you are quite the Enigma to me; you have musical insight, yet you still defend and support ghetto Rap. I wish I could wrap my brain around that one…

Now before you start defending Tupac, know that I hear you when you say he was different, and that when I say “rap” I mean stuff around today. I still am quite ignorant when it comes to Tupac because you have yet to recommend any songs, not to mention Zappa or the Beastie Boys. I’m sorry to say my budget does not allow me to go in blind and download what ever title sounds good, I want to get my moneys worth and know that I’m buying a worth while song. So to say it once and for all- I’m not talking about Tupac

I hear you when you say rap music is just commenting on beautiful women, but you have to understand it is demeaning in the sense of a real society. Rap is its own culture in a sense, Bitch and Nigger and Fuck all hold different meanings. Older people in functioning society are not going to understand this and see it as demeaning, which in some cases it can be. A lot of music has been sexist over the years, and theres no way you can exclude rap from the list.

I also understand that you might not have a huge connection with MCR, that is just how your life has progressed. They were the first and only contemporary group I’ve gotten into, and majorly changed my life for the better in only a few months time. I doubt there will ever be a time I will not love them, just as I will forever love the music of The Beatles and The Blues. For me such expression is timeless. Now I’ve grown up in a very musically oriented family and have received great influence from my parents. I was always encouraged to listen closely, learn hidden meanings, and understand the message the artist was trying to convey. I found great respect and admiration for MCR because of their:
Conceptual album WTTPB
Understanding of their fans
Message and intellect
Method of writing lyrics
Way of explaining my teenage angst
Artistic expression
The fact they play they’re own instruments and write they’re own material
They are not apart of the corporate music world like most (if not all) pop music is

I’m sure there is other stuff out there, but I have yet to explore that realm and am not really sure if I want to just yet; Theres always new stuff to hear and appreciate, but I don’t know if any other band could do the things MCR has done for me. ~ Rex
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
June 29th, 2008 at 05:44am
KingRex:

Hey Miguel, How’s it goin? I want to say agree with you on the fact that “alternative music can be just as mindless as any other music” Yet I don’t think is so much that I refuse to see past the “bitches and hoes” as it is that I can’t. Is there anything actually there? You seam to think so, but I’m just not able to do so. I listen to the radio, I go to dances, I hear “Booty booty booty booty rockin everywhere” and I see chicks shacken there asses. Now as a heterosexual teenage male I can respect this in the sense that its got a drivin beat and I like what I’m seeing, but in the sense of expression I see it as next to nothing. To me it’s just a bunch of faceless kids swimming in a sea of retarded sexuality spewing out simple rhymes strewn with profanity and getting paid handsomely for it. Only because (and I mean no personal offense to you when I say this) the major audience today is really just a bunch of sheep who don’t know any better then just to accept whatever music is out there so they look cool among their peers. I always laugh when kids back up rappers with sales statistics. “Yeah well Lil’Wayne sold 10millon in the first 8and ¾ days So THERE!” This means aposluly nothing to me. If 10 popular kids in school (who had no musical taste to begin with) listen to the latest one hit wonder, then every follower of their entourage is gonna download it, its that simple. That is why you are quite the Enigma to me; you have musical insight, yet you still defend and support ghetto Rap. I wish I could wrap my brain around that one…

Now before you start defending Tupac, know that I hear you when you say he was different, and that when I say “rap” I mean stuff around today. I still am quite ignorant when it comes to Tupac because you have yet to recommend any songs, not to mention Zappa or the Beastie Boys. I’m sorry to say my budget does not allow me to go in blind and download what ever title sounds good, I want to get my moneys worth and know that I’m buying a worth while song. So to say it once and for all- I’m not talking about Tupac

I hear you when you say rap music is just commenting on beautiful women, but you have to understand it is demeaning in the sense of a real society. Rap is its own culture in a sense, Bitch and Nigger and Fuck all hold different meanings. Older people in functioning society are not going to understand this and see it as demeaning, which in some cases it can be. A lot of music has been sexist over the years, and theres no way you can exclude rap from the list.

I also understand that you might not have a huge connection with MCR, that is just how your life has progressed. They were the first and only contemporary group I’ve gotten into, and majorly changed my life for the better in only a few months time. I doubt there will ever be a time I will not love them, just as I will forever love the music of The Beatles and The Blues. For me such expression is timeless. Now I’ve grown up in a very musically oriented family and have received great influence from my parents. I was always encouraged to listen closely, learn hidden meanings, and understand the message the artist was trying to convey. I found great respect and admiration for MCR because of their:
Conceptual album WTTPB
Understanding of their fans
Message and intellect
Method of writing lyrics
Way of explaining my teenage angst
Artistic expression
The fact they play they’re own instruments and write they’re own material
They are not apart of the corporate music world like most (if not all) pop music is

I’m sure there is other stuff out there, but I have yet to explore that realm and am not really sure if I want to just yet; Theres always new stuff to hear and appreciate, but I don’t know if any other band could do the things MCR has done for me. ~ Rex

Hey Rex, not bad thanks how are you ? how was Hawaii ?

The idea of the main audience of rap can be said about alternative?. have you noticed that in the music section of this site in the favourite bands thread you see the same artists being said over and over again you see my chemical romance fall out boy panic at the disco, so by sheep if you mean everyone listens to the same thing, the same can be said about the crowd that listens to all those sorts of bands. If ten emo kids listend to a band and each of them told their friends about that band wouldn’t have the same effect as those popular kids y our talking about? I mean what’s the difference? You’re just trying to cut hairs because in the end it’s all music and music is a business no matter what genre, Hip hop is just very open about the money side of this music business and in some sense you can link that to some sort of honesty.

And just because lil Wayne sells ten million albums just means he has a loyal fan base that enjoys his music ? can the not be said about an alternative band that sells fast like my chemical romance’s black parade ?. did you bother to take my chemical romances selling stats and compare it with lil Wayne. Take a look at your argument though I know you don’t like me saying it its biased as.

The reason I enjoy it so much is because I don’t have this “rock biased complex” that a lot of people have. A lot of people have this notion that rock is superior and cleaner than rock or alternative but in the end its music all the same its expression, whether the rapper expresses how arousing a woman is or how a person explains his angst, they are expressing their feelings.

I wasn’t excluding it from the list, I was merely pointing out it wasn’t alone in that list. Yeah but the same can be said about the whole emo thing. An older person going to look at my chem lyrics and think that its just fueling suicide eg when the daily mail reported those articles, what you have to understand is that speculation and opinion on something is fair in the music industry and what matters is that you look at it from the proper perspective, if you can see rap music for what it really is without having an oprah winfrey and saying its demeaning women you’ll truly understand my point of thinking.

I grew up in a very musical orientated family. We had pianist’s guitarist’s singers and I grew up around that mix, I listened to Motown and 80s classics with my mum and listened to hard rock with my dad. I listened to classical and opera when I could get my hands on a c.d and I listen to jazz and bluegrass and blues when I feel I want to feed my soul. I’m not new to this game.

You said that My Chemical Romance isn’t part of the corporate music world well im sorry to say this but they are. No Matter what musician, if you have actually paid to listen to their music they’re part of the business that is music. The productions are massive their tours are global, they just scream out corporate money making machine they’re exactly the same as a rapper that tours globally there is no difference except the rapper is telling you how much money he’s making.

its a business Rex, My Chemical Romance and Jay - Z are all in the same business out for the same thing whether it be for themselves or for some guy high up.
Colorado Sunrise.
Salute You in Your Grave
Colorado Sunrise.
June 29th, 2008 at 02:44pm
I think music has a huge impact on teens & kids, not so much adults. Mostly to the kids who listen to music a lot, and even those who want to become musicians. I can tell you, probably 70-80% of kids who listen to My Chemical Romance are 'emo/scene/punk' or whatever else. And girls who listen to a lot of rap or r&b are probably girlish gangsters. And like said, music can be medicine, but not ALL genres of music. I think it really depends what genre you listen to, and the meaning of a record, like the Black Parade which started this whole suicidal thing. Some music can be x-rated for specific teens.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 29th, 2008 at 08:04pm
Tattoo:
And like said, music can be medicine, but not ALL genres of music.

Why not all genres of music? Why restrict it?
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
June 30th, 2008 at 10:21am

exactly why carry this elitist view on music where your confined to just my chemical romance and every other b grade rock band that follows.

it all feeds the soul.
its all expression .

why is it that rnb and hip hop are hated on ?

a day to remember.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
a day to remember.
June 30th, 2008 at 04:29pm
Well as a musician, I can tell you that music is my life.

Even when I'm thinking about something else, music is always on my mind, sometimes in the back, but mostly on the front. I live and breathe music.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
June 30th, 2008 at 08:44pm
Migamphetamine:

exactly why carry this elitist view on music where your confined to just my chemical romance and every other b grade rock band that follows.

it all feeds the soul.
its all expression .

That's a good question really.
I mean, I admit I don't really like rnb or that sort of music, but it's not just because of the music I do like. I just don't really like the style. But it's not like I'd make a huge deal out of it, you know?
It really makes me curious as to why most people who like a certain genre of music seem to hate other certain genres.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 30th, 2008 at 09:51pm
^Well, there are some music genres I personally hate, but that doesn't make them any less important in the world. I hate Indie music (not Independent artists, but just the Indie sound in general), but I don't go around saying it shouldn't mean anything to anyone, because it does.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
July 1st, 2008 at 02:39am
Hawaii was unbelievable, definitely a once in a life time exirpience. If you want to hear about my time hangin with a bunch of hippies under a giant circus tent, it’ll have to be in PMs cause I dont' think the Mods will appreciate this thread getting off topic.

Wow Miguel, I’m quite happy to see that in this case you and I completely agree. If you had been talking about emo kids and such instead of rap, I would have replied the same as you did above. There is defiantly a pattern in what popular and kids who just want to fit in. That’s really what I think “emo” really is, a way for kids to be anti-popular but still fit in with a group.

Yet I can understand the draw of alternative music better because I feel it. For years I disliked pop music because it seams so dumb, and honestly was scared by screamo stuff and thought that it was just people screaming. At least in the case of MCR I was proven wrong, for there is a message underneath it all. I’m not so sure about rap. Your example of alternative music being misunderstood in society was a very good one and I agree 100%. But I am able to see that there is more to alternative music then just dark imagery. I’m sure there are alternative bands who are screaming just to scream, but at least with MCR there is a purpose and a bigger picture. I am hopelessly unable to see any bigger picture with rap (Tupac excluded), so much that I can hardly believe there is a bigger picture. In every song I’ve ever heard there’s always sex, money, violence, profanity and onomatopoeia sounds. That’s it. To me it just seams so shallow and one dimensional. I held similar views with alternative music for a while. When I first heard WTTPB on SNL I was thinking “my God shut up! Yeah so your dad took you to see a marching band, stop crying and get over it!” The whole thing seamed overtly dramatic, yet a year later I realized it was apart of a story and the drama was totally warranted. Only when I discovered MCR holds a strong love for their fans, and have always been against violence and self harm, was when I really got into them.

I’m not against rap in the sense of the way it sounds, I’m against it because of what it says. Last night I went and saw Steve Miller (my dad won tickets) and during “Fly Like An Eagle” the back up singer came out and rapped the chorus. It wasn’t exactly my thing, but it worked and I could appreciate the mix of old and new. Todd Rundgren has also experimented with the use of rap in his career, creating rhymes that involve such topics as religious hypocrisy and one’s individuality. These kinds of expression are ones that I can relate to and appreciate, not so much with ghetto life. For me, when I see rap and rock next to each other, I see and respect I rap as I would finger painting next to a Picasso. Both are forms of expression lacking substance, yet a Picasso (rock) has a purpose and the strict absence of meaning on the surface allows you to see a deeper meaning below it. Yet Rap is just simple and one dimensional for the sake of nothing else is needed, or wanted. The artists are paid no matter what so there is no real draw or intention to be true artists who have some thing to say past “Ah skeet skeet motha fucka” Thing is I don’t know if most rappers actually have anything to say that hasn’t already been said, its more of living the dream with all the power, money, and “bitches and hoes” you could ever ask for.

I would not be against saying there is more to rap or pop music today. It’s just that I have never seen any evidence proving that it’s true.

Migamphetamine:
I’m not new to this game.

That’s good to hear, but I’ve understood this for a while.

Migamphetamine:
A lot of people have this notion that rock is superior and cleaner than rock or alternative but in the end its music all the same its expression, whether the rapper expresses how arousing a woman is or how a person explains his angst, they are expressing their feelings.

The way I see it, Rock is so much more varied and diverse then rap. If every single rock song had some connotation to sex violence and getting rich, I wouldn’t listen to it. I mean, yes its expression, but can’t you just grow up and start rapping about something that’s meaning full instead of “Ah Ah you make so good” It gets so old. You described Rap as being misunderstood in the sense it’s not demeaning, but showing admiration of women. I understand that, but if all your gonna do is rap about looks and how you feel when all these bitches crawl over to you, it does sound demeaning. I as well as society would understand your view better if there were people rapping about women’s intellect, inner beauty, strength, company, conversation, hair, eyes etc. Something other than tits and asses, it makes them sound like objects of pleasure. Which isn’t terrible in the big picture, but there actually needs to be a bigger picture for it not to be terrible.

Migamphetamine:
You said that My Chemical Romance isn’t part of the corporate music world well im sorry to say this but they are.
I was speaking in terms of pop and the corporate music world and how crazy it is. Kid bands are thrown together just to brainwash the audience and be a cash cow for record label. They are meaningless besides the fact they sing catchy toons and are appealing to young kids who want to be older. I do not associate MCR with such groups.

Migamphetamine:
it all feeds the soul.
its all expression .

I agree, its all expression, it should not be divided into what works and what doesn’t; that’s where you run into trouble.

Because we rockers see it as the equal to hollow expression . I truly fail to see it means anything substantial, besides fitting in with adolescent sex drives. Rock does the same, but is heavier and is light years a head in terms of artistic creativity.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 1st, 2008 at 03:00am
KingRex:
In every song I’ve ever heard there’s always sex, money, violence, profanity and onomatopoeia sounds. That’s it. To me it just seams so shallow and one dimensional.

You obviously need to listen to more rap then Mr. Green

KingRex:
The artists are paid no matter what so there is no real draw or intention to be true artists

What exactly do you mean by "they are paid no matter what"? Image

KingRex:
Thing is I don’t know if most rappers actually have anything to say that hasn’t already been said

I could say the same thing about My Chemical Romance; to me, it seems they've done the whole "death and darkness" theme to, well... death. But that is just my interpretation.

KingRex:
If every single rock song had some connotation to sex violence and getting rich, I wouldn’t listen to it.

If every single RAP song had some connotation to sex, violence and getting rich, I wouldn't listen to it either File