Don't have an account? Create one!

Death and Afterlife

AuthorMessage
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
June 2nd, 2009 at 02:05am

Of course death isn't fair, but neither is life.

I usually have an opinion for everything, but I'm absolutely stuck here. I want to believe in an afterlife, but some part of me just won't let me. I keep comparing it to before I was born. We can't remember anything before we were born, is that what it will be like next?
Seabirds.
Bleeding on the Floor
Seabirds.
June 3rd, 2009 at 07:35am
I'll admit I am absolutely terrified of dying. I think it's due fear of the unknown. The fact that no one can know what happens.
Like when I get sick, I'm such a hypochondriac, I start thinking I've got something deadly and I just panic.
I admire people who are ready and willing to face death at any moment.
I guess because we don't understand life in general, it's pretty hard to guess the what happens after death.
I think the hardest thing for me with be leaving people, I hate to think death will just be lonesome.
Although, I do have a feeling it might be like, as the post above says, before we were born.
Then again, we don't know whether we were something before that, or it was just, nothing. Who knows.
SheaLeone;KJ
Motor Baby
SheaLeone;KJ
June 21st, 2009 at 10:19pm
ok so; excuse me if this has already been discussed, but i had a question.

to start off, I am a Christain, so I believe in Heaven etc. But recently I had a friend lose his life to a freak accident. He was at a hotel pool and hit his head. It knocked him out and he drowned. The paramedics couldent revive him. I've always questioned his faith, and the right time never seemed to appear for us to talk about it. So if he hasnt accepted Christ as his savior, does he go to hell? I mean it clearly wasnt his time, he was only 17. and I miss him tons.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
June 22nd, 2009 at 09:57am
Boyd.:

to start off, I am a Christain, so I believe in Heaven etc. But recently I had a friend lose his life to a freak accident. He was at a hotel pool and hit his head. It knocked him out and he drowned. The paramedics couldent revive him. I've always questioned his faith, and the right time never seemed to appear for us to talk about it. So if he hasnt accepted Christ as his savior, does he go to hell? I mean it clearly wasnt his time, he was only 17. and I miss him tons.

I don't believe that he would go to hell. I personally don't believe in hell, I think we all go to the same place regardless of religion. I'm sorry you lost your friend. I says that he would be in a heaven of sorts, but it's up to you to choose what you believe. Again, I'm sorry he died, that truly terrible.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
June 23rd, 2009 at 11:05am
Boyd.:

I'm a Christian too, and I'm pretty sure all children go to heaven. And at 17 you're legally a child, so...? He probably went to heaven.
ThisMeansNothing
Killjoy
ThisMeansNothing
June 23rd, 2009 at 01:57pm
i was kinda surprised once i read this by how many people are scared about death. i personally do not feel anything about it, complete indifference i suppose. i think once you're dead you're gone, you don't feel anything, you're just completely not there anymore.
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
June 23rd, 2009 at 07:27pm
^^ Heaven and Hell has nothing to do with age. It has everything to do with your awareness and your ability to understand the idea of God, Jesus, the resurrection, and forgiveness. If you are too young to truly understand those things things then I dont believe you would go to Hell if you died. Someone who is 17 most definitely understand those concepts and therefore they should be held accountable if they do not accept Christ as their savior. Being legally a child has nothing to do with the afterlife.

Boyd.:

I am very sorry for the loss of your friend. Though the reality is that your friend was 17 years old and would have been able to understand the concept of salvation. So that means that if he gave his life over to Christ then he would go to Heaven, but that also means that if he did not then he would go to Hell. Though as humans we cannot be the judge of who has and hasnt accepted Christ. God is the only one who knows a persons true heart, and therefore we should not judge the salvation of anyone else but ourselves.
iheartthrobsy
Killjoy
iheartthrobsy
June 30th, 2009 at 03:42am
i fear how sudden death can be and that i could die anyday, thats what i'm most afraid of... dying young, because i haven't yet done anything important with my life, once i have i'll be content.

i don't believe in heaven or hell (or anything like that) but i do hope that we get reincarnated..
chasing dragonflies.
Killjoy
chasing dragonflies.
July 1st, 2009 at 03:33pm
I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid of dying before I'm okay with it. Before I've experienced life, and done the things I want to do. It scares me that I only have one chance. I'm not scared of the actual act of death, because once I'm dead, I'm dead. I don't care, It's natural. I'm dreading the deaths of my loved ones, though. I'm not too fussed over my own death.
Afterlife, I'm not too sure about. I really would like there to be an afterlife, but I don't know what. I'm not religious, and there are no non-religious ideas of what life after death is like. I think for the most part, that there is no afterlife, even if I hope there is.
But after all, I'm dead, and what happens, happens.

Also, has anyone ever wondered that the afterlife might not be a physical place we go to, but a state of mind? My friend said something really interesting about it once. I forget what though...
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
July 24th, 2009 at 04:02pm
I posted before on the religion section about my theory that all the deities we know may exist. I think that perhaps when you do your spirit might break up into many separate pieces and potentially end up going to each welcome afterlife. I say "welcome" because I think some might be closed, so that only worshipers could come in (for example if the Christian God exists and actually is like what the bible describes, I would not be allowed in due to my contradicting religious beliefs and worship of the Great Goddess and her consort the Horned God). I also think that you may be able to choose the main part of your soul (the heart of your soul if you will) to go to the afterlife of your choosing. Hence then, I would go to the summerlands (the Wiccan concept of the afterlife), however I think I may actually choose if or when I get reincarnated, rather than it just happening sometime. I also think you might be able to go from one afterlife to another if you want to. I know this probably sounds like an almost impossibly optimistic conception of the afterlife, but it is the thing I think fits best with my theory.
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
July 28th, 2009 at 12:14am
^^ So you are going to trust your life with nothing but a personal theory? And then what happens if you are wrong? (Im not saying that you are wrong, Im saying this: what is going to happen if everything you suspect might happen in the afterlife is false? If the Great Goddess does not exist, and the afterlife you hope for isnt there? What if there is a Hell? And are you willing to risk that?)

Im not asking those questions in a derogatory fashion, im very curious as to what you believe and why, so please dont misinterpret what I say as an insult, because it is certianly not meant that way.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
July 28th, 2009 at 11:11am
http://www.deathonline.net/decomposition/index.htm

it shows the different stages of death in a pig. THAT's death.

....in elementary school my general music teacher told us about some people who he saw on a tv show who died and came back to life in surgery and said that they saw "a bright light". But then again, maybe their dying brains were just hallucinating. I recall seeing a tv show myself yrs ago when some guys took drugs or got really drunk or something, got into a car accident , died, came back to life, and said that he heard or saw some kind of after life. The person narrating the show had mentioned that he was on drugs, and his brain WAS dying sort of....

death is very fascinating. We are all so fragile, and anything can kill us.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 29th, 2009 at 04:41pm
Darkromance:
....in elementary school my general music teacher told us about some people who he saw on a tv show who died and came back to life in surgery and said that they saw "a bright light". But then again, maybe their dying brains were just hallucinating. I recall seeing a tv show myself yrs ago when some guys took drugs or got really drunk or something, got into a car accident , died, came back to life, and said that he heard or saw some kind of after life. The person narrating the show had mentioned that he was on drugs, and his brain WAS dying sort of....

The bright light at the end of the tunnel is supposedly a remembrance of being born. Going from the dark womb through a 'tunnel' in to the bright light of the world. Perhaps this means that dying is simply being born into another life.
I.wish.i.wer.a.ghost
Motor Baby
I.wish.i.wer.a.ghost
July 31st, 2009 at 03:30am
i am actually compleatly confused by death. i guess the confusion also coems from religeon, like about god. how do we know thta there's someone thats going to look out for us when we are dead? or do we even actually die. like what if our spirtits continue living and thinking we're alive when we're not.

gah. ive gone over it too many times and its so hard to come up with something that would compleatly make sense
a touch of anarchy.
Shotgun Sinner
a touch of anarchy.
July 31st, 2009 at 09:22am
I think about death alot.

has anyone considered that when you die, you don't exist? At all?

Like,. no spirit, no anything. You aren't there. Its a strange thing to think about, and maybe thats why people are afraid of dying.
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
August 1st, 2009 at 07:37pm
^^ But I mean if you honestly think about that it really doesnt make sense. Think about yourself and your awareness...how can after death you just be no more? Not see, not hear, not feel, not anything. Do we just see darkness forever? It makes no sense to say that after we die we cease to exist, because when you really think about yourself not existing, it just cant happen. We are always aware of something. We can always see, hear, smell, feel something.

I dont know. The idea of non-existence just doesnt make sense to me.
I.wish.i.wer.a.ghost
Motor Baby
I.wish.i.wer.a.ghost
August 2nd, 2009 at 03:40am
^^ (to the person above)

yes! its actually my most considered theory. thats when you die. thats it. theres no spirits, ghost or nothing. your just a dead body that will never live or breath again
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
August 3rd, 2009 at 02:57pm
Yeah.. I see the atheistic ideal of death (just rotting in the ground) is the most feasible of all the theories. It is just that it feels so uncomfortable of imagining no afterlife. I just was stating what I think if it exists it might be, and kind of what I hope it will be. Although, I do realize of course that most (if not all) of the concepts of an afterlife were founded due to humanity's inability to accept their own mortality. Most people try to think optimistic, since they don't want to face the true realities of the world. I just really hope that there is at least something.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 7th, 2009 at 07:14am
LetterSeven:

has anyone considered that when you die, you don't exist? At all?

Like,. no spirit, no anything. You aren't there. Its a strange thing to think about, and maybe thats why people are afraid of dying.
But of course. This is my interpretation of death and what's after it. Nothing.

A lot of people - namely people who believe in heaven / hell / God etc. - ask me how I can find comfort in what I believe, but I actually find the concept of nothing after this life very comforting. I personally do not want my spirit or soul or whatever to live on after my body has given out. I find it comforting to think about decomposing in the ground - not a lovely image, but.
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
August 7th, 2009 at 02:58pm
Mindfuck:
But of course. This is my interpretation of death and what's after it. Nothing.

A lot of people - namely people who believe in heaven / hell / God etc. - ask me how I can find comfort in what I believe, but I actually find the concept of nothing after this life very comforting. I personally do not want my spirit or soul or whatever to live on after my body has given out. I find it comforting to think about decomposing in the ground - not a lovely image, but.

How do you possibly find comfort in the concept of eternal nothingness after you die? You realize of course that you don't just lay there, watching yourself decompose in the ground. That you wouldn't exist. I think that even the Abrahamic Religions' concept of eternal torture in hell is more comforting then not existing at all. I am not saying that the theory of not existing after you die is false, far from it, but I just don't see how you could possibly find comfort in such a theory.